Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Pretty sure that's not a spelling error, but point taken. ;)

Yeah, the old PowerPC grammar and spelling checkers (third party, Apple never did grammar checks in the PPC days) would be screaming, "PUNCTUATION ERROR!!!!" I think it was called Grammarian?

You always have to comma out appositive phrases.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I ordered it. I'm really looking forward to reading it.
Delighted to hear this.

Actually, it is brilliant.

A wonderful read.

The very title is something that she uses as an example where the meaning is totally transformed by inserting a comma.

Writing about the diet of the giant panda, the sentence, "eats shoots and leaves" - a verb and two nouns - makes complete sense.

However, when you place a comma after "eats" the meaning of the sentence is transformed utterly.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Like the very first post in this thread where Apple closed Charlotte, as well as North Carolina and a place called "Store" (with the extra comma). :)

Which, again, is why you always comma out appositive phrases. When I refer to Nermal, a moderator, I had to separate "a moderator" with commas, as it is an appositive phrase. The same applies here. There are lots of places named Charlotte and for clarity, North Carolina was added as an appositive. Therefore, the state needs sliced out with commas.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
On this topic, I would also recommend the brilliant book by British author Lynn Truss entitled "Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach To Punctuation".
I can't do it. I can't get that book. It is a book about punctuation that doesn't believe in the Oxford comma--at least in the title. In this case, I am definitely judging that book by its cover. :D

I love the Little Brown Handbook. Just get an old edition off eBay. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: svenmany

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I can't do it. I can't get that book. It is a book about punctuation that doesn't believe in the Oxford comma--at least in the title. In this case, I am definitely judging that book by its cover. :D

I always put that comma. I hope there aren't other things that throw me. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
While we're at it, how about fixing one frequent grammatical error?

Instead of the wrong "Apple today did something." one of the correct "Today Apple did something." or "Apple did something today." should be used.
Adverbs of time like "today" in mid position are generally considered acceptable in journalism and are commonly used in that manner.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Adverbs of time like "today" in mid position are generally considered acceptable in journalism and are commonly used in that manner.
Not in a quality publication. One would hope.

Anyway, I feel a pain that is almost physical when I read such a sentence.

For, to my eye, it is jarring, and clumsy - and yes, ugly - in construction.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
I can understand why (Apple is the most important part, not today), but it still feels weird.
I can sort of understand why Apple themselves put their name first, must be some kind of capitalist marketing egotism. Doesn't mean I consider it something to be emulated, quite the opposite.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Why would wrong grammar be acceptable in journalism? And (why) should it be? I expect articles to be written to a higher standard than reddit comments.
Did the rule change in the last 10 years or so? When I was in high school and college, sticking time in the mid position was never taught as being acceptable. In fact, I was always taught to put such first, outside of constructing the sentence as @Nermal proposed.

Reactions: Basic75

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
There is no universal English language; there are domain-specific variants: formal, colloquial, technical, journalistic, and many others. A newspaper article written in formal English would be corrected by editors to conform to the norms of journalism; especially a headline.

When I'm writing code and I have to write A, B, C, and D, where B is the only lengthy part, I try to craft things so that the order is A, C, D, and B. In that way A, C, and D are not overlooked due to the noisy B. That's a reasonable explanation of why the important, short parts are pushed to the fore in a headline.

"Oxford, last week, at a press conference, presented a forceful and well-reasoned argument that the comma they have been ignoring for so long should be treated with more respect because it is especially cute and should not be left to question its own worth."

I think I saw that headline in the New York Times.

Reactions: KaliYoni

ajr123

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2023
"Apple Permanently Closes Charlotte Store, North Carolina, After Multiple Shooting Incidents"

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow

But the point of the title is to show just how important the Oxford comma is :cool:

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I'm going to order right now.
I read it and got a lot out of it. Two big takeaways:
  • There are no hard and fast rules; famous authors argue about proper punctuation and the conventions are always evolving.
  • I would never want to meet the author in person since she would tear me a new one.
And, oh boy, the punctuation of her prose is confounding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.