Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
This has happened before, it's just another plea to at least provide the courtesy of notifying the poster when you're deleting their content and provide a reason. I'm surprised it's not a matter of policy.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This has happened before, it's just another plea to at least provide the courtesy of notifying the poster when you're deleting their content and provide a reason. I'm surprised it's not a matter of policy.

Agree that it would be nice (nay, most welcome) if some (dare one express an unrealistic and insanely optimistic hope that this apply to all) privately owned US social media platforms pursued such a policy as a matter of decency and common courtesy.

Of course, it is entirely possible that this is too much to hope for.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Dang it, Is this why I haven’t hit the G4 yet? 🫣

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I agree that it's best to have information and we do everything we can to let people know. Sometimes, however, a thread requires a huge amount of clean-up, and innocent posts get deleted simply because they are replies to moderated posts and no longer make sense in context.

Whenever there's time, we let people know, but when the amount of work is huge, the moderators have to give priority to sending out moderation messages to those who actually broke rules. If they were fulltime and paid, they could just keep plugging along until everyone got a message, including those whose posts didn't break rules.

So please bear with us, know that it's our intention to let you know why your post disappeared, and remember that if you didn't hear anything from us, your post was fine and the only reason for the silence was an overwhelming amount of work (like with a concurrent spam attack, for example).

And, as always - feel free to shoot us a contact and ask what happened to your post if you're at all unsure.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Every single reply from admin/mods is always the same. We have so much work to do, we can't do basic common things like update users for deleted comments. And then the follow up reply is to use the contact form, which you yet again take forever to respond to. Users should not have to contact you to figure out why their comments were deleted, that's asinine and shows just how poorly the site runs. Your solutions aren't solutions, they're excuses you repeat ad nauseam in lieu of a solution. Maybe it's time to implement an actual fix, like an auto-message or something even crazier like, gasp, more mods.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Every single reply from admin/mods is always the same.

Oh the irony.

I don't think it is practical for MR or any other business to staff 24/7 based on the need that infrequent dumpster fire days present. A technical solution, such as an auto-message, would be preferred but I doubt a perfect solution exists. Direct replies, via the reply button, are probably able to be handled that way but in cases where member B simply posts a response to member A's post without tagging or using the reply button is much harder to catch which forces manual intervention.

I would prefer quick and decisive action from the mods to clean up a thread gone awry verses a time consuming, meticulous approach that ensures that every single tender soul is notified that their post was removed and why. I've had posts removed and in the very rare cases where there was no explanation I pretty much knew it was coming. YMMV.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tres and I7guy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.