Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
London
so, bootcamps installed, partition is up, i get into the colourful vista install screen but when it comes to selecting the partition to install on, it wont let me, i tried click to format, no help. anyway, went into disk utility back in trusty osx to check the partition, which is coming up as windows NT filesystem. i dont think im doing anything wrong.

by the way its on my newly arrived core2duo 24" imac.

eagerly awaiting responces :) thanks guys

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
London
i am installing vista fresh, no xp, why is that the way its supposed to be done? i read it was better from scratch? thanks

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
speakerwizard said:
i am installing vista fresh, no xp, why is that the way its supposed to be done? i read it was better from scratch? thanks
for vista installation, you need NTSF system (i dont know what windows NT format is, it sounds as if it should be...)

anyhow, try this... go back to ur trusty, restore partition, repartition, (dont restart yet) pop in the vista installation and click Start Installation (this is all at OS X)

then select drive C, it should be a partition that is not formated, and use that you should be fine

SpankyPenzaanz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
just a general question - why do people install essentially a beta of a windowsOS... if current versions of win have porblems and you whine and complain about said problems why would you muck things up by installing something thats not final especially on hardware not officially supported by the OS.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
SpankyPenzaanz said:
just a general question - why do people install essentially a beta of a windowsOS... if current versions of win have porblems and you whine and complain about said problems why would you muck things up by installing something thats not final especially on hardware not officially supported by the OS.

If no one tested beta operating systems, then development would take three times as long. Not quite sure what you mean by "hardware not officially supported by the OS" as Microsoft actually used a MacBook Pro in a Vista presentation. And lastly, people want to try new things, sure, Windows XP sucks, but Windows Vista is all neato looking and stuff. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.