Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
I've just found out about this amazing case for the iPad 5

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ruggedcombo?cvosrc=affiliate.cj.7293438

basically it gives the iPad 5 a wired keyboard like the iPad Pro!

But it's only meant for education and sold 10 pieces at a time.

(I'm guessing this could be a requirement made by apple not to step on the Pro's foot? remember apple and logitech are in a deep collaboration since the Pro 12.9 launch..)

Please Logitech
- make it available to the general public
- support all the usual international layouts you support for ipad keyboards

Thoughts?
This is the ultimate iPad 5 rugged keyboard case.
Paired with that superb iPad 5 battery life and sweet price point.
A dream.
Why only for education why.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Well it is but in turns it checks all the boxes
- analog angle kickstand
- rugged case
- detachable keyboard
- air guide to bring the speakers sound to the front

If ipads want to go after laptops, this is how it's done. Awesome.

No pairing or charging needed for the keyboard. Better than the two wired keyboards (apple and logi) available for the Pro, since those provide little drop protection or are not detachable.

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
I'd love to see something like this available for my iPad Pro 12.9. The problem with Logitech's current offering is you cannot remove the keyboard.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Another way to look at this: this is "optional Surface" (with infinite angle kickstand and detachable wired keyboard) for the ipad.

It's Surface only if you want it to be.

Plus rugged protection and frontalized speakers.

Logitech hit jackpot to me with this design. (imagine it slimmer if this was made for slimmer ipads)

vbctv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Cleveland, OH
This is basically a newer version of the Logi Blok with Keyboard that I had for my iPad Air 2 before I upgraded to the Pro 12.9. It makes the iPad very heavy. I would never recommend for the 12.9 Pro but for the new iPad 5 it would be okay. But the Blok was never a huge seller so that could be why they are edu only this time.

Reactions: sracer

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
It looks great, but I once "owned" a 12.9-inch iPad Pro with the Logi Create Smart Keyboard Case and it was just too heavy for me and made it unusable, so I gave both back and rather continued using my 17-inch MBP.

That thing looks (even with a smaller iPad) much more heavy.

But maybe the materials are lighter. Looks like more plastic. I would test it, but it should be available for the 9.7-inch Pro.
The pencil is the only thing I woud consider an iPad over my 12-inch MacBook again.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
This is basically a newer version of the Logi Blok with Keyboard that I had for my iPad Air 2 before I upgraded to the Pro 12.9. It makes the iPad very heavy. I would never recommend for the 12.9 Pro but for the new iPad 5 it would be okay. But the Blok was never a huge seller so that could be why they are edu only this time.
Yeah. I'm a bit surprised that no one seems to know that this is simply the Logi Blok for the 2017 iPad. (confirms how poor a sell it was)

The Blok was notorious for how extremely difficult it was to install... and even more difficult to remove. As you point out, the weight of it is "legendary". If they ever offered an ultra-thin, ultra-light version of this, I'd be all over it.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
Well it is but in turns it checks all the boxes
- analog angle kickstand
- rugged case
- detachable keyboard
- air guide to bring the speakers sound to the front

If ipads want to go after laptops, this is how it's done. Awesome.

No pairing or charging needed for the keyboard. Better than the two wired keyboards (apple and logi) available for the Pro, since those provide little drop protection or are not detachable.
I don't know, one key factor for iPad is portability. This case destroyed it

Reactions: masotime
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.