Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Built in weather app sucks. It used to work well now it's just not that accurate & it doesn't seem to update very often

2 things I need.
It needs to have weather condition complication
It needs to work with Time Travel (so I can see will it rain if I go out running)

Oh.. and it'd be great if it's less than $5 :)

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Built in weather app sucks. It used to work well now it's just not that accurate & it doesn't seem to update very often

2 things I need.
It needs to work with Time Travel (so I can see will it rain if I go out running)

I generally prefer Windows devices for weather.

They’re usually the most accurate.

I look through them, and there it is. The weather.

For temperature, I usually use Door devices.

Sorry... lol

I’m that person who still does things the old way. Hmm... feels about 40 degrees today, slightly cloudy, a bit of sunshine peeking through the clouds.

I gave up a long time ago on things like weather people, prediction, etc.

A common example: My grandmother told me that the news lady said we’d get a foot of snow. Strange... I used my Window... hmm... weird, all the snow is melting and it’s 70 degrees outside.

Today was supposed to be raining. I raked the leaves and worked on my roof. Pretty nice day.

Sometimes I’m curious what the weather is like in another town. I call my friend. Gives us a chance to catch up. Hey, it’s nice here today, what’s your weather like?

Reactions: Fdisaac00

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I generally prefer Windows devices for weather.

They’re usually the most accurate.

I look through them, and there it is. The weather.

For temperature, I usually use Door devices.

Sorry... lol

I’m that person who still does things the old way. Hmm... feels about 40 degrees today, slightly cloudy, a bit of sunshine peeking through the clouds.

I gave up a long time ago on things like weather people, prediction, etc.

A common example: My grandmother told me that the news lady said we’d get a foot of snow. Strange... I used my Window... hmm... weird, all the snow is melting and it’s 70 degrees outside.

Today was supposed to be raining. I raked the leaves and worked on my roof. Pretty nice day.

Sometimes I’m curious what the weather is like in another town. I call my friend. Gives us a chance to catch up. Hey, it’s nice here today, what’s your weather like?

That’s all true sadly. :)
For example right now the weather complication showing it’s cloudy outside, instead it’s heavy rain. :O
Sigh...

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
That’s all true sadly. :)
For example right now the weather complication showing it’s cloudy outside, instead it’s heavy rain. :O
Sigh...

Yeah, you can try to guess what the weather is going to do by patterns of what has happened before. But, a lot of times the weather says, "Oh... you thought I was going to do that??? Watch this!!!!!!!!"

Davidglenn

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
I travel and find some weather apps are less accurate in certain countries. So you really need to find the most accurate for area you live in. I have yet to find one that does 'everywhere'.

Reactions: matrix07 and mk313

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017

2 things I need.

It's usually not an app problem - more so a source issue. There's several different weather data sources out there - Weather Underground, DarkSky, and AccuWeather to name but three here in the US; and each provider can have different forecasts or even 'nowcasts'.

Reactions: matrix07

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
I travel and find some weather apps are less accurate in certain countries. So you really need to find the most accurate for area you live in. I have yet to find one that does 'everywhere'.
Completely agree with davidglenn. It really depends on where you live. Where I live, weather underground is the most accurate. Bring t that’s not universally true.

Reactions: matrix07

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Thank everyone. Looks like I'll try Dark Sky & see if there's improvement over the built in app.

Cheers,

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
That’s a neat site... Only odd thing is it doesn’t get the correct town for a zip code, but one in the next county... (USA). :confused: Ironic.
I think that’s just the closest town for which they have data. I input the Mesa, AZ zip code for instance and get results for Phoenix.

Attachments

• E8F3E586-E294-4296-96B0-DDE02201A39C.png
    E8F3E586-E294-4296-96B0-DDE02201A39C.png
    344 KB · Views: 312

Sciomar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2017
I use the Carrot weather app with data from Wunderground, thus far it's been more accurate than Dark Sky for the locations I have travelled to.

area52

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
Since carrot updated I don’t think it uses weather underground anymore. Now carrot tells me it’s raining all the time and I’m in the desert. Where I am located, WU is the most accurate as someone a mile away from me has a weather station on the WU feed. So I’ve switched to weather mate. It has decent customization of complications similar to what carrot offers and you only have to pay once. WU has an app too but the complications are not as good.

Reactions: calbear85

Jess Ica

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2020
Since carrot updated I don’t think it uses weather underground anymore. Now carrot tells me it’s raining all the time and I’m in the desert. Where I am located, WU is the most accurate as someone a mile away from me has a weather station on the WU feed. So I’ve switched to weather mate. It has decent customization of complications similar to what carrot offers and you only have to pay once. WU has an app too but the complications are not as good.
How do you set the complication to go to your watch. I made the one I like in weather mate app but can’t figure out how to get it on the watch face

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.