Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
UK
I'm not sure on the exact point of this post. I think mainly I'm so disappointed by the new macbook pros, so much so that for the first time in many many years I've used my own money to buy a windows machine. A dell xps15 laptop 9560.

I feel like apple got their latest apple laptop wrong. Non-terraced battery, poor choice on chip, poor choice on memory, poor choice on connectivity. -In my opinion as a product/industrial designer I don't think its good enough, and doesn't deserve the price tag.

As I'm having a moan I also don't like that Apple have an integrated retail model and don't pay tax too.

If apple have another go at the laptop, I'll probably get it. Currently the dell is the next in line after owning macs for 15 years. Macbooks pro's, intel imac, g5 powermac, ibook, g3 imac, g4 powermac, performas, lc, plus.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I'm not sure on the exact point of this post. I think mainly I'm so disappointed by the new macbook pros, so much so that for the first time in many many years I've used my own money to buy a windows machine. A dell xps15 laptop 9560.

I feel like apple got their latest apple laptop wrong. Non-terraced battery, poor choice on chip, poor choice on memory, poor choice on connectivity. -In my opinion as a product/industrial designer I don't think its good enough, and doesn't deserve the price tag.

As I'm having a moan I also don't like that Apple have an integrated retail model and don't pay tax too.

If apple have another go at the laptop, I'll probably get it. Currently the dell is the next in line after owning macs for 15 years. Macbooks pro's, intel imac, g5 powermac, ibook, g3 imac, g4 powermac, performas, lc, plus.
How's that Dells terraced battery treating you?

Mindinversion

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
Anyone else ever get the feeling that this is just macrumors trolling? Ok, so you bought a PC. You came on here to tell everyone about it WHY? Seriously, what do you think you're gonna do with a single post, start an anti-Apple revolution on a Pro Apple forum?

Or is it just me?

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
...so the OS and your apps aren't a significant enough factor in your workflow and daily practices to deter you? Interesting for one who has used Macs for so long.

Alot of people are agnostic on OS and apps and are more interested in hardware

Anyone else ever get the feeling that this is just macrumors trolling? Ok, so you bought a PC. You came on here to tell everyone about it WHY? Seriously, what do you think you're gonna do with a single post, start an anti-Apple revolution on a Pro Apple forum?

Or is it just me?

Its just you. I completely empathise with the OP and I'm glad they have spoken up. The more of this kind of thing on the net the more likely Apple are going to hear this message

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

"You can checkout anytime you like but, you can never leave."

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

Or is it just me?
Sometimes, but not in this case.

I don't understand that. Everything I do, every task I perform is predicated upon the OS and the apps running therein. Switching the hardware (in this case) would mean a sea change that I would not be willing to undertake.

Reactions: SDColorado

Queen6

macrumors G4

Opted for a Surface Book over the 13" 2016 MBP, 15" i'll wait and see what comes up later this year. Same here too many concerns versus the value the 2016 MBP currently represents. My systems are employed professionally so they need to deliver and meet my expectations.

Q-6

Reactions: kazmac

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
I had a Dell system for the office just a year ago and NEVER would I pay my own money for that stuff.

Apple is listening to a majority, not a few unhappy lost souls with strange stories on a forum. Apple deals to the house, not to the single gambler with hard-luck stories to tell before he draws the first hand.

R.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
While I'll always have some type of Apple product to retain the investment I've made in media and apps I recently went with the 2017 HP Spectre 15 inch myself. I didn't realize how far Apple has fallen behind until I started using it. Windows hello signs me in by recognizing my face, it has a beautiful 4K display (as do many PC's these days), slim bezel, a touch screen and has a beautiful well-crafted metal design. Windows has its faults but it's improved greatly.

The Macbook Pros are still really nice quality machines but it's clear that Apple just isn't making much of an effort right now--and they are laughably over-priced. Looking forward to the next iPhone though.

derboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
UK

Its just you. I completely empathise with the OP and I'm glad they have spoken up. The more of this kind of thing on the net the more likely Apple are going to hear this message

This really. I'm not looking to change anyone elses mind, but as a loyal customer for such as long time I feel I can moan a little.

I'm sure I'll get another mac at some point, if the next versions are good as I do love osx. At the moment I don't think the price is deserved. They have limitless resources for design and development, and I just cant understand their design priorities. Or a less polite way to put it is their respect for the customer.

I don't think a dell is the best by a long way,- just more honest in a design/price sense.

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
No batter then Apple, as they couldn't install a shaped battery in the new MBP and had to shrink its size.
I understand that, which is why it's odd to mention it as a reason for going to a machine that also does not have a terraced battery. I just thought it was funny.

Reactions: willmtaylor

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I'm sure I'll get another mac at some point, if the next versions are good as I do love osx. At the moment I don't think the price is deserved. They have limitless resources for design and development, and I just cant understand their design prioritiest. Or a less polite way to put it is their respect for the customer.

I don't think a dell is the best by a long way,- just more honest in a design/price sense.

Point taken about price, but that was always the case when there was a major revision. The first gen rMBP was ballistically expensive and everybody here was laughing, saying that they didn't care about a slightly thinner computer, especially at that price (plus the cMBP 15" of the time was still upgradable with RAM/SSD). Yet cut to a few years later and everybody here considers that to be the gold standard of Apple portables.

Pretty much every revision I remember, up to and including the first Intel MacBook Pros, had people hunkering after a thicker computer with more hardware power and more ports. My point is that time will (I believe) make these a non-issue.

USB-C will be pretty ubiquitous in a few years' time and the fact it can be transformed into literally any port you need makes it the least limited MacBook Pro yet. The prods about form over function will be forgotten in 5 years when the previous gen MacBook Pros look and feel cumbersome in comparison.

Apple have historically made the best decisions in the long term and people have historically been stuck in the mud about the changes. I don't think this will be any different.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Non-terraced battery

The comparably spec'd Dell gets significantly worse battery life than the MBP 15 (which actually has very good battery life), so I think you worsened your situation on that point.

poor choice on chip

They chose the best chips available at the time. The Dell came out months later, so it has more recent chips. The next MBP will too, that's how that goes.

poor choice on memory

A major reason the MBP has better battery life than the Dell is that it uses low-powered RAM designed for laptops, not desktop RAM as the Dell uses.

poor choice on connectivity

The MBP ports are far more powerful and flexible than those on the Dell. The Dell's Thunderbolt port is hobbled to half-speed, by the way.

In my opinion as a product/industrial designer I don't think its good enough, and doesn't deserve the price tag.

The price on Macs is always higher, for reasons including build quality, but the base 2016 15" with 512 GB storage is only $100 more than the comparably equipped 2015 was when it came out. Considering all the improvements, that seems more than reasonable.

The XPS is a fine machine, but you do get what you pay for. I hope it works out well for you.

The Macbook Pros are still really nice quality machines but it's clear that Apple just isn't making much of an effort right now--and they are laughably over-priced.

Apple has always been and will probably always be more expensive than comparably spec'd Windows machines. There are reasons for that which many discover eventually when they get to know the competition better. I hope your HP works well for you, though.

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
While I'll always have some type of Apple product to retain the investment I've made in media and apps I recently went with the 2017 HP Spectre 15 inch myself. I didn't realize how far Apple has fallen behind until I started using it. Windows hello signs me in by recognizing my face, it has a beautiful 4K display (as do many PC's these days), slim bezel, a touch screen and has a beautiful well-crafted metal design. Windows has its faults but it's improved greatly.

The Macbook Pros are still really nice quality machines but it's clear that Apple just isn't making much of an effort right now--and they are laughably over-priced. Looking forward to the next iPhone though.

The face recognition thing does not work all that well and is not as secure as the fingerprint ID. There's no comparison in build at all. Apple wins for build. As for screens, the new screens are brighter and have better color than the PC laptops (pretty much why most shooters like me continue to use them). You also get a better trackpad, far better speakers and...I'm sorry, but windows (getting better) is still less than Wonderfull.
I don't want to say what I just sold two of my older Macs for, but let's just say that NO windows laptop retains any value compared to a Mac, which actually makes the windows machines more expensive in the long run.

R.

Reactions: Jefe's MacAir

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
I would have opted for a 2014/2015 MacBook... wait that's what I did.

Loooooong term windows user as in from the start of using computers. Swapped the past few year in blips as I got use to the change. Now fully committed to Mac and love it.

As much as the windows laptop hardware can be nice they all run windows which I got fed up with in the end.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
My work computer is a T460S with 2 3CELL batteries but not so impressed by the real world results. I think Windows as an OS has really poor power management in comparison with Linux and OS X

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.