Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I encourage those of you with the series 4 or series 5 watch to turn on the "Fall Detection" feature and leave it on.

Many of you may think that because you are not middle age or older, the feature really doesn't apply to you. In my opinion, you should remove that kind of thinking from your mind.

The fall detection could possibly save your life (or a loved one) one day. You could suffer a heart attack, have a unforeseen physical accident like a car wreck, or be the victim of a robbery or physical attack of some kind that leaves you unable to stand.

With the many features the Apple Watch has, the one that you may need the most, is probably the one you have not turned on.

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
This feature is legit. Just yesterday I was ice skating with the kids and as I was skating backwards, got blind sided from behind my legs and upended. Fell flat on my back. I was fine but fall detection worked as advertised and I was able to cancel the call to emergency services from the watch face. Nice! Apple should leave this on by default for everyone. How many AW users are aware of this feature?

drewaz

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2012
Phoenix
I'm thinking about getting an AW just for this feature. If fall detection is triggered and you are not able to respond to prompts on the watch and EMS is summoned ..... how do they know your precise location? Does it work if you are using your iPhone for the cell connection?

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Great tip.

so many post and yet NOBODY posts HOW to turn it on for others?

some tips on enabling fall detection, emergency contact list (do NOT just add your next of kin; especially if they live out of city, state/province/country as they may be slower in getting the call and detecting local public emergency).

when the S2 launch I stipulated Apple Watch would take this feature as a key part of the overall hardware set.

Those of us that live in heavy winter areas - with lots of snow and ice should enable this. It's not like we wear helmets as we walk. Also consider getting hit by a car during the winter were it may not have all-seasons/winter tires or poor breaks can cannot break adequately. you'll still be hit, and still fall or twirl in the air.

@op good reminder on a good tip!

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Yet another reason to resume pointing out to Congress that leaving deployment of cellular and broadband access largely to the "free market" continues to make second class citizens out of millions of Americans in rural areas. I'd love to have an AW able to "phone it in" if I fall down outside on a wintry day and don't get up again and say goshdarnit and kill the emergency call. But there's no voice at the end of the line for me because there's not much there there as far as non-landline-based telecomms go in these mountains. I settle for letting the paper ride out a chilly night on its lonesome in the box, if a wintry day suggests skipping a trip to the road for the papers and mail. Oh well. Gives me plenty time to write another letter to the congress critter.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I'm thinking about getting an AW just for this feature. If fall detection is triggered and you are not able to respond to prompts on the watch and EMS is summoned ..... how do they know your precise location? Does it work if you are using your iPhone for the cell connection?
Yes, it will work as long as you have a paired connection with the phone, if you don’t have a LTE watch.
[automerge]1574021688[/automerge]
This feature is legit. Just yesterday I was ice skating with the kids and as I was skating backwards, got blind sided from behind my legs and upended. Fell flat on my back. I was fine but fall detection worked as advertised and I was able to cancel the call to emergency services from the watch face. Nice! Apple should leave this on by default for everyone. How many AW users are aware of this feature?
I doubt a lot of people are aware, outside of us tech nerds.

Last edited:

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
The "I've fallen and I can't get up!" TV commercials that aired many years ago have created stigma around this subject.

(I have it on myself, of course.)
If you research "medical alert systems" (and I did) you will quickly realize that an Apple Watch provides so much more, and at a much lower price. The peace of mind I have with my Watch (with cellular) far, far outweighs my monthly cellular fee. It is just sad that seniors (or those who care for them) settle for so much less.

Last edited:

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
One nice feature that I don't see here, is that if you have an LTE watch, in the US, it will automagically call emergency services even if you don't have it connected to a carrier. That is the reason that I purchased the LTE version of the watch, I can't, and don't want to call anyone on the watch, but I DO like the idea that if I wind up horizontal, and become vertical, the watch will summon help. The days of "I've fallen and can't get up" are over!

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
A buddy of mine had a false alarm. He was on his motorcycle (didn't fall), it went off and triggered an alert to his emergency contacts (with GPS location), who knew he was on his motorcycle. They thought he went down because he wasn't answering his phone. Police were contacted, it freaked out the entire family (he was on a 3 hour trip).

Not to discourage people from using it, just be aware that false alarms can really freak out your loved ones. He has a new baby, his wife thought he was dead until he finally pulled over and noticed all the missed calls.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Not to discourage people from using it, just be aware that false alarms can really freak out your loved ones. He has a new baby, his wife thought he was dead until he finally pulled over and noticed all the missed calls.

This. I think I read that one of the reasons it's not on by default for younger people is that younger people are more likely to do things that would cause a false alarm. I haven't turned it on because I was a concerned about the G-forces on coasters. I probably wouldn't remember to turn it off before I went on one and might not notice that it was going off during a ride.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
A buddy of mine had a false alarm. He was on his motorcycle (didn't fall), it went off and triggered an alert to his emergency contacts (with GPS location), who knew he was on his motorcycle. They thought he went down because he wasn't answering his phone. Police were contacted, it freaked out the entire family (he was on a 3 hour trip).

Fall positives can happen with any technology. However, a post like this, discourages people from turning it on. Hot a great idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.