Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dom_a2345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2015
London
Sorry everyone I failed to screen shot it and cant remember the exact text

But in the release notes for plex server update to version 0.9.12.18 it mentions an update for

'an audio codec for an as yet unreleased app on a new fruit based device'

or words to that effect, someone might be able to screen shot it.

Might be what we have all been waiting for, in the mean time I have been using Simplex and it is working well.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
They are definitely doing an app. In the Plexpass forums they have been talking about its progress. It had a couple of rejections from the review team but it's back in review again and they seem confident it will pass this time.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
What does plex do ?
It's a video, music, photo and streaming channel client/app (think AppleTV) but it plays file formats other than iTunes. My Vizio TV has it built in and so does my TiVo.

So if you've got a bunch of files (video/music/photos) you run the server on your computer (pretty much zero config) and pick the folders containing the information (you can pick local file servers too), it does a pretty great job of gathering cover art (and other art) the screens look great! They have the server for Mac, Win, Linux(?) and a few routers/networked hard drives.

I've watched one movie this way just to test it out. I watched a 1080p MP4 file. It seemed like it was taxing my 15" Retina MacBook Pro (most recent generation) pretty good, it might have still been collecting cover art and descriptions. It stuttered a few times, but was pretty good otherwise (the file was on a networked drive so it had to read it, do some conversation and then stream it to the TV). Now that I think about it, I think it only stuttered once after I switched to wired networking.

You need to create an account on Plex, but you don't need to pay to do the above (assuming they have the same rules for the AppleTV app). If you pay $4.99 for the IAP you can watch on your iPad/Phone too. To save for off-line viewing you need to pay the $4.99 a month fee.

You can stream to other locations and share with (5?) friends, but I think that requires the $4.99 a month fee.

Gary

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
You should check your transcoding settings in Plex, just to make sure direct playback is enabled. That way any files that can be played natively on the recipient device are just streamed without Plex having to re-encode them. Saves a lot of cpu usage when it's available.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
You should check your transcoding settings in Plex, just to make sure direct playback is enabled. That way any files that can be played natively on the recipient device are just streamed without Plex having to re-encode them. Saves a lot of cpu usage when it's available.

Settings on the client or the server.

On the Mac under /settings/server/ and clicking transcoder, I don't see anything like that. I did attach the settings I see in a screen shot.
Screen Shot 2015-10-31 at 7.25.36 PM.png

There is streaming quality in the settings (on the Mac) and those choices have specific numbers (and "original") also attached.
Screen Shot 2015-10-31 at 7.27.42 PM.png

WAIT: I do see a "Direct Play" option (settings for the player on the mac) which is checked (so is "Direct Stream").

I guess these would help unless the client can't play that format, then it'd need to convert anyways.

A little confusing having the client/server on the Mac having the same interface window.

Gary

Last edited:

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
You'll find the Direct-Play option in the settings of the host device, so your TV, xbox or whatever device.

It's also worth going to the settings of Plex on your computer, enable the advanced options and disable all of the logging stuff, that saves a little CPU use. You can also change the frequency of the scanning and updating under Library and you can disable the automatic scanning there as well and just set a time interval for it to run checks.

It's not drastic stuff, but every little helps.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Thanks. I'm just wondering how well this runs on a few years old machine...

Gary

I run mine on a late 2012 iMac and it copes very well, even when I'm coding and my in-laws and the neighbours stream from my library as well. Never had a problem with performance.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I dont see the point or need for PLEX.
I rip my discs and put the films in iTunes so I dont need anything else in the middle...

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
I can't get Plex Server to see my HDD connected to Apple Base Station. If someone knows how to make that work, I'd consider the Plex app when it releases. I also want to try Fire Core Infuse. They are working on an app. With on the ATV2 jailbreak, it sees your videos where ever they are, and you don't need to run a server on your Mac, and your Mac plays no role at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.