Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unidentified

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2019
Is anyone running Plex Media Server on the new 10th gen MBP?

Would love to know if the processor is powerful enough to transcode 10 BIT HDR Rips (20-80GB)

My Mac mini from 2018 (i7 - 6Core) is doing this relatively easy and quiet, but off course has 2 more cores.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
You don’t need a Mac to run the server. Modern Smart NAS devices will run the service 24/7 and always be available to run that service! Plex has Srver apps that will run on most Smart NAS blocks, just read the product material when buying these products to run that Server!

Unidentified

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2019
You don’t need a Mac to run the server. Modern Smart NAS devices will run the service 24/7 and always be available to run that service! Plex has Srver apps that will run on most Smart NAS blocks, just read the product material when buying these products to run that Server!
I have a Synology NAS DS718+ but they can not handle x265 10 BIT HDR files. Therefore I use my mini, but wonder or a Macbook could do this as well.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I have a Synology NAS DS718+ but they can not handle x265 10 BIT HDR files. Therefore I use my mini, but wonder or a Macbook could do this as well.

If that Synology DS718+ according to NAS Compares! So if you go Synology App Store look for Plex Server and run the Server 24/7 on that machine to free up space on your Mac. Heck on NAS with VPN Server you could see your video on run running a VPN client on your smartphone!

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
So you want to run a service on your client Mac! Sure you can but you have to keep that Mac always on if you use a TV box! The NAS is always on and it makes no sense!

Dude, give it a rest. He has told you repeatedly that a NAS isn't powerful enough to transcode the files he is using.

To answer the original question, there's no way to know until you try, but I doubt the 10th gen would have a problem. It should be more than powerful enough to transcode those files, especially since your Mac Mini can.

Unidentified

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2019
So you don’t think a modern + Synology can’t stream a video to his smart phone?

NO, not with Plex and if the files are x265 HEVC 10 BIT HDR! The CPU of the NAS is just not powerful enough.

Dude, give it a rest. He has told you repeatedly that a NAS isn't powerful enough to transcode the files he is using.

To answer the original question, there's no way to know until you try, but I doubt the 10th gen would have a problem. It should be more than powerful enough to transcode those files, especially since your Mac Mini can.

Bare in mind that the MBP 2020 is 4 core and mini is 6 cores. Guess I should just purchase it and try myself.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
NO, not with Plex and if the files are x265 HEVC 10 BIT HDR! The CPU of the NAS is just not powerful enough.

Bare in mind that the MBP 2020 is 4 core and mini is 6 cores. Guess I should just purchase it and try myself.

i'm well aware. Like I said, you won't know for sure, but you are talking about a Mini who's CPU is two generations old now. The Macbook Pro is only 10-15% slower in multi core, and is actually faster in single core performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.