Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you having this problem on your 2017 MBP w/ TB too?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

yashmitl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2018
IMG_20180918_145142.jpg

So I have a display problem for my MBP, there's a strip of dead pixels on the bottom then a faintly flickering gradient above it. It first started out with a very faint flickering gradient on the bottom, it would sometimes be there otherwise not. Then it stayed there. Since then, the strip of dead pixels came and the height of the gradient increased. The red arrow points the gradient, the blue arrow points the dead strip of pixels. Apple has told me that this was my display starting to fail so here's the shady part:

A friend of mine, friend 1, had a similar issue and went to get her laptop fixed. It's fixed now, but she suspects whether it's fixed or not because she sometimes feels it's still there.

A few days to a week ago, friend 2 messages me saying he's got the first step, the very faint flicker gradient except its on the top of the screen.

Just last night, I pointed out the flickering on friend 3's mbp display also on the top.

Also last night, realised another friend, friend 4 also has been having the same problem, except his is at a worse stage than mine, he has ghosting of previous apps and the whole screen has lines.

How does this all tie up? We ALL have the 2017 MacBook Pro with TouchBar model, and we've ALL hit one year since purchase. Is this a problem that's occurring one year after purchase? To only the 2017 MacBook Pro TouchBar model? I've seen no posts or comments about it but perhaps this is something that is just now surfacing since this model was released a year and few months ago, which is why I'm posing this. The fact that all of this has happened to all five of us at about the same time since purchase is extremely shady. Is this then not something that is not our fault? Does anybody have any tips on how we verify this? How we can talk to Apple about this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.