Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

budge9

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
My dad has just bought me a Samsung 26'' lcd tv but can somebody please talk me through how I would go about connecting my macbook to it and what I need to buy to do this. Thanks a million!

fedgirl

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2007
My dad has just bought me a Samsung 26'' lcd tv but can somebody please talk me through how I would go about connecting my macbook to it and what I need to buy to do this. Thanks a million!

I am also curious to know because I want to hook up my macbook pro to my Sharp Aquois LCD.....If anyone has any idea about this type of LCD please let me know as well. I am thinking on the lines of HDMI but I am not sure.

budge9

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Could somebody please tell me is this is the best cable to get for connecting to macbook to my lcd tv? I take it that i need a hdmi to dvi cable? Thanks a million in advance!

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Your MacBook & LCD TV At The Time!!!

Yep, I hook up my MacBook 2.16 to my 40" Sony Bravia LCD several times a week! It's pretty easy, first you need a "mini-DVI to VGA adapter" and they sell for about $19.99 at most Apple Stores or BestBuy, Fry's Electronics. Attach the adapter for the MacBook (if you are not certain if you are buying the correct adapter, please ask a sales tech and be adamant that you need one for the MacBook, 'cause once you OPEN the "package" you become "THE OWNER of a part that you don't have any use for!!!) next, you attach it to the VGA connector cable, which is then attached to your TV, then go to your TV MENU and look for the INPUTS and select the #INPUT, and press enter, (my PC #INPUT is #7, and my DirecTV is #6, my HD DVD is #2, and my WWII VHS plater is #1) then go to your MacBook at Systems Preferences and select Displays and select mirror displays and "POOF" your desktop should show up on your LCD TV immediately. I've used this exact situation for my PowerPoint and some gaming, but more for PowerPoint. It's pretty exciting to see my Desktop on the 40" LCD TV and the GRAPHICS are awesome on the video games. "The only way to enjoy your MacBook and 40" LCD TV at the same time!!!:D

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Is This The BEST Cable...

for you? Remember that the MacBook requires the MINI-DVI to HDMI or VGA Adapter. 'Cause as I stated before, you'll be stuck with the adapter once it's opened and it's not even a good "paperweight" at this point.:cool:

budge9

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I'm so confused! Somebody please help me. I've read that the Samsung LE26R87 does have a vga output but I'm not sure which one it is. Does vga have another name?
Also I was then thinking that I'd use a dvi to mini dvi cable. But apparently my tv doesn't have dvi just hdmi. However having looked at the converters I'm really not sure what I need to do. Does anybody know which connector I should get? It's made even more confusing by the fact that the instruction books does mention dvi.
Somebody please help me! I feel like I'm missing something very obvious I just can't think what it is!!! Thanks a million!

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I'm so confused! Somebody please help me. I've read that the Samsung LE26R87 does have a vga output but I'm not sure which one it is. Does vga have another name?
Also I was then thinking that I'd use a dvi to mini dvi cable. But apparently my tv doesn't have dvi just hdmi. However having looked at the converters I'm really not sure what I need to do. Does anybody know which connector I should get? It's made even more confusing by the fact that the instruction books does mention dvi.
Somebody please help me! I feel like I'm missing something very obvious I just can't think what it is!!! Thanks a million!

Ok, first things first, look at the cover of The Guide. What does it say? It says Don't Panic.

If the TV has an HDMI port then what you can do is this.

Get the MiniDVI - DVI adapter
Get a DVI - HDMI cable
Get both of these at a place where you can return an opened package in case your TV acts up with this amalgamation
Connect the MiniDVi - DVI Adapter to your MacBook in the only place it can go (left of Firewire, right of Ethernet)
Connect the DVI - HDMI cable to the MiniDVI - DVI Adapter
Plug the HDMI end to the back of the TV (or wherever the port is on your TV)
OS X should immediately recognize that it is connected to a TV over DVI, and then set the screens accordingly. If it does not, press F7. And if that doesn't work, then go System Preferences -> Displays and muck around awhile.

If this fails then

Get the MiniDVI - VGA Adapter
Get a VGA - VGA cable
Connect the MiniDV-VGA Adapter to your MacBook
Connect the VGA cable to the MiniDVI - VGA Adapter
Plug the other end of the VGA cable into the VGA port on the TV
OS X should immediately recognize that it is connected and set things accordingly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.