Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tderemigis

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
I am looking on ebay for an old PM G4 to store all my media on. My plan is to run all my music from my external drive connected to the PM, as well as the DVD's that i have ripped, and run EyeTV.

What would you say the minimum specs for the Power Mac should be?

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
tderemigis said:
I am looking on ebay for an old PM G4 to store all my media on. My plan is to run all my music from my external drive connected to the PM, as well as the DVD's that i have ripped, and run EyeTV.

What would you say the minimum specs for the Power Mac should be?
hmmm.....If possible I would go with a 1.25 ghz or 1 ghz dual as those go for decent prices however that will be too much power you could go with something as small as a 1-1.25 ghz single?? Its hard to say. I don't know how much CPU a eyetv takes either.

tderemigis

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
i already have a 250 GB firewire/usb drive, and a 250 GB NAS drive. I can't seem to figure a way to connect the NAS drive directly to the computer. Is it possible to jsut bust the drive out of the enclosure, and purchase a new enclosure for it?

tderemigis

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
Thanks Trainguy!!

I jsut bought that PM. So is does that model have the support for big drives?

tderemigis

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
i guess it doesnt matter since i can still put a decent size drive in there, and stil run my firewire ones,

9Charms

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I was actually wondering the same thing as the original poster.

However, for my home server, it would have to run iLife '06, and VNC. Basically, it'll be a headless media server and file server.

I understand that the minimum iLife requirement is a 733Mhz G4. But I just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with a lesser machine.

I would like to add a RAID card of some sort with support for RAID 5. I've lost a hard drive before in a RAID 0 (doh!), and am a bit paranoid now. So RAID 5 or 6 is a must. The more hard drives I can stuff into the machine, the better.

Also, should I be concerned that the power supply on an older machine might die? I understand that I can't put a cheapy PC one into it... I'm just wondering since this machine will be on 24/7.

Basically looking to do this as cheap as possible, but with Mac hardware, not PC's... I've already built a cheap PC media server, but I want Mac hardware because I would like to use iPhoto sharing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.