Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Here's the deal, I was having some kernal panics, 4 over the weekend (which I think might be from iTunes 4.7.1. seeing as how I don't have KPs if iTunes isn't running and I just upgraded to 4.7.1), and I tried some fixes and now my Mac won't boot, but just freezes on the grey boot up screen. BUT if I hold down "option" while starting up I can select my OS X start up disk and boot-up just fine. So, it seems, open firmware can't find my OS X boot disk automatically, but I can select it manually and all is good.

The place I think I screwed up is when I booted into single-user mode to try and repair permissions from there I misspelled one of the commands (the repair permissions command) and couldn't get back to the command prompt. I finally did a hard reboot and that's when it just froze on the grey start-up screen.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

thanks,
Lethal

ephramz

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2004
When you got it to reboot with the option key held dow, did you do repair permissions and repair disk in Disk Utility. I can't remember if you can do repairs on the system disk, so if not, boot of your 10.3 cd and run Disk Utility from the installer. If that still doesn't work, try to zap the NVRAM (cmd-opt-P-R) at startup. If that still doesn't work do an archive and install from the 10.3 CD.

Good luck. I just had to do this with an iMac G4 that wouldn't boot after an upgrade to 10.3.8

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Tried disk utility from the OS X disc, tried PRAM, tried permissions again. Nothing.

So...

Just for sh8ts and giggles I went in and selected OS X as my start up disk thru System Preferences and, bingo, Macs boots fine now. :)

Now I just have to get to the bottom of the kernel panics.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.