Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

filmgeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
MBP late 2018. i9 + eGPU.Monterey, 12.3.1

I'm stumped here. PMset (power management) is off the charts for the last 3+ months.

At random times (and OFTEN) it's running at 90%+ of the CPU. It'll launch, run high, terminate and relaunch.

I've removed everything, did an SMC and the PRAM resets.

Then into Recovery mode, disk utility and did a "First Aid" on the SSD, Container and Data sections.

I'm stumped here. It seems to be launching, hitting faults, quitting and relaunching.

Any ideas?Advice?

What I want to avoid is the wiping of the OS back to scratch.

Is there a way via the Console or Activity monitor can I can get some insight on what is causing this problem? IT

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
MBP late 2018. i9 + eGPU.Monterey, 12.3.1

I'm stumped here. PMset (power management) is off the charts for the last 3+ months.

At random times (and OFTEN) it's running at 90%+ of the CPU. It'll launch, run high, terminate and relaunch.

I've removed everything, did an SMC and the PRAM resets.

Then into Recovery mode, disk utility and did a "First Aid" on the SSD, Container and Data sections.

I'm stumped here. It seems to be launching, hitting faults, quitting and relaunching.

Any ideas?Advice?

What I want to avoid is the wiping of the OS back to scratch.

Is there a way via the Console or Activity monitor can I can get some insight on what is causing this problem? IT
First, when it is running at 90% look at the Activity Monitor, set to show %CPU top down, and note what processes are at the top? That should give you a clue to what is the cause.
2nd. open a terminal window (Applications/Utilities) and run the Code: pmset -g
Then paste the results here.
3rd. What do you mean by "It"? in the sentence, "It seems to be launching, hitting faults, quitting and relaunching"?

filmgeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
First, when it is running at 90% look at the Activity Monitor, set to show %CPU top down, and note what processes are at the top? That should give you a clue to what is the cause.

It's PM set and the rest varies on usage. I live (sadly) on %CPU.

2nd. open a terminal window (Applications/Utilities) and run the Code: pmset -g
Then paste the results here.

I did a pmset restoredefaults which seems to have fixed it.

3rd. What do you mean by "It"? in the sentence, "It seems to be launching, hitting faults, quitting and relaunching"?
pmset. It launches, jumps to 100%, hits a ton of faults in the sample in the console, quits...and then mysteriously relaunches.

I've had this problem and while restoredefaults seems to have fixed it - I'm disappointed at my own sleuthing skills on finding the answer.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
It's PM set and the rest varies on usage. I live (sadly) on %CPU.

I did a pmset restoredefaults which seems to have fixed it.

pmset. It launches, jumps to 100%, hits a ton of faults in the sample in the console, quits...and then mysteriously relaunches.

I've had this problem and while restoredefaults seems to have fixed it - I'm disappointed at my own sleuthing skills on finding the answer.
Normally pmset should not be Launching itself, did you start it doing that somehow?
Below, there is a list of pmset terminal commands I have gathered, and used in that order on an old MBP from late 2011, ancient hardware but still running! (the battery will even last 30-40 minutes unplugged!)

Terminal commands:
pmset -g Shows what you have set now.
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 standby 0 autopoweroff 0
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
--Ignore any message saying there is no such file
sudo touch /var/vm/sleepimage
sudo chflags uchg /var/vm/sleepimage
sudo pmset -a proximitywake 0
sudo pmset -b tcpkeepalive 0
--This command may produce a warning saying some features may not work properly. This is fine, it simply disables Internet access during sleep. This is the same as disabling "PowerNap" Apple's badly implemented (demented?) attempt to have apps update themselves during sleep behind the users back.
sudo pmset -a standbydelaylow 86400
sudo pmset -a standbydelayhigh 86400
If necessary;
sudo pmset restoredefaults

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.