Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
So, I recently started listening to some podcasts after never really doing so before. I have everything set up as I do with other apps I want to get notifications from, but I never get any notifications from the podcast app for new episodes - not a badge, not a banner, not a sound, nothing. I’m running iOS 13.3 on an iPhone SE. Anyone else have this issue?

thecoffee_

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2019
So, I recently started listening to some podcasts after never really doing so before. I have everything set up as I do with other apps I want to get notifications from, but I never get any notifications from the podcast app for new episodes - not a badge, not a banner, not a sound, nothing. I’m running iOS 13.3 on an iPhone SE. Anyone else have this issue?
Hi! I know it’s been over a month but yes, I’ve had this issue for as long as I can remember. My solution is a dumb one but has worked for me so far: I have notifications turned on for the podcasts that I would like via Pocket Casts, a free third-party podcast app, and then I go to the Apple Podcasts app to listen to them. It’s weird but it works ??‍♀️

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I get banners, Notification Center, but been years since I get badges.

Gotta ask: subscribed to podcasts in question?

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
I get this issue as well, I subscribed to the podcast have notifications turned on and set the refresh to 1-hours and I still don't get new notifications.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Hi! I know it’s been over a month but yes, I’ve had this issue for as long as I can remember. My solution is a dumb one but has worked for me so far: I have notifications turned on for the podcasts that I would like via Pocket Casts, a free third-party podcast app, and then I go to the Apple Podcasts app to listen to them. It’s weird but it works ??‍♀️

This is a good workaround. Thanks - I'll try that.

I get banners, Notification Center, but been years since I get badges.

Gotta ask: subscribed to podcasts in question?

Yes, subscribed.

StuBFrost

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2016
Manchester, England
I subscribe to several podcasts and have never got notifications. I just know the sort of time they are released and just refresh the app around the time to see if the new ones are out yet.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I tend to get my notifications through all at once. Yesterday I had about 11 notifications for the previous few days and the podcasts had failed to download automatically.

The app is a mess like the vast majority of Apple's first party apps.

It's like Apple are trying to be bad on purpose and succeeding spectacularly with their ineptitude.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Well iOS14 did nothing to help this. I know under iOS 13.2 (I think) I was getting notifications, late but at least a banner showed. Now nothing again. Did the usual 1)remove app 2) restart but no joy. Still waiting for Apple to respond to my twitter DM asking why its not working.

thecoffee_

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2019
Did you get something?
Hi! I posted a workaround a few months back and I still use it, because I’m still not getting any notifications from Apple’s native Podcasts app :(

My workaround is a dumb one but has worked for me so far: I have notifications turned on for the podcasts that I would like via Pocket Casts, a free third-party podcast app, and then I go to the Apple Podcasts app to listen to them. It’s weird but it works ??‍♀️

giancarlorsilva

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2021
Hi! I posted a workaround a few months back and I still use it, because I’m still not getting any notifications from Apple’s native Podcasts app :(

My workaround is a dumb one but has worked for me so far: I have notifications turned on for the podcasts that I would like via Pocket Casts, a free third-party podcast app, and then I go to the Apple Podcasts app to listen to them. It’s weird but it works ??‍♀️
Thanks for sharing with us! But man… why doesn’t Apple say nothing?

Spotify and other apps will swallow Apple Podcasts :/

Reactions: thecoffee_

thecoffee_

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2019
Thanks for sharing with us! But man… why doesn’t Apple say nothing?

Spotify and other apps will swallow Apple Podcasts :/
I know! I wish they’d fix it in a future iOS update. There was actually an update that came out today, but it still hasn’t fixed the Podcasts/notification bug.

What’s your personal experience using Spotify as your podcast app of choice? I like Spotify for listening to music but can’t quite get on board for podcasts. I’m not sure why though!

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Here’s something you may not expect. I was growing bored of never getting any Podcast notifications on my iPad since iPadOS 15. By pure chance I disabled then re-enabled Podcast notifications on my Mac and is if by magic I am now getting notifications on my iPad. Could be a coincidence but it certainly doesn’t seem likely. It was pretty much instantaneous.

Reactions: whsbuss
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.