Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Not a fan of new Podcast app, but that it stops playing, it has happened only a couple of times. Most of the time, keeps playing (I'm pretty much using Podcast app all day long), but I am using the "Up Next" playlist/function.

Related thread on this: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/podcasts-not-playing-in-order-anymore.2069567

I wonder if this might have to do how one starts to play their podcasts: selecting from "Episodes" playlist, or clicking on a podcast via "Shows"? And what sort and play orders that are set for each podcast folder and or playlist? The "Listen Now" list seems to have some odd behavior (I delete that off the app).

northernbaldy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2010
the north, UK
It’s totally useless
I still have the issue where it won’t download episodes
I have to cancel the download and start again
It’s totally confusing
[doublepost=1506768443][/doublepost]Just noticed that you can’t rate Apple apps! What are they scared of?

36736738793_09f005d952_b.jpg

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
it is clearly a heavily redesigned app so that is an indication that apple does understand the growing significance of podcasts.
but it is also clear that no one reviewed it from a usability standpoint.
frequent user of it but still haven't figured it out completely yet...

Reactions: potentmf

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
To be fair, the podcast threads for v11 are similar to when the previous version of Podcasts was introduced in v9(?). Changed for sake of change... useless... ui sucks... etc. We got used to it or moved on to third party apps.

Me, over the past week, I've worked out my workflow for Podcasts. Relatively at peace with it, have sort and play orders set up to fit into my use of "Up Next" as my master playlist.

Now, if only Apple would fix or return the notification badges for individual podcast subscriptions, and more importantly, the app icon, that would be a big plus.

tedson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
I agree 100% with original poster. Prior to iOS 11, it was my preferred podcast app, simple but it did what I wanted it to do. Now it's a graphics mess. If anyone knows of a better podcast app let me know.

Reactions: potentmf and Feyl

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I am back to using the stock podcast actually, as part of a greater move back to stock apps for the system integration. It’s useable enough and I like having desktop and Apple TV apps.

potentmf

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2016
yes, I can't figure out how to add multiple podcasts to play in a row. It seems like they keep replacing each other.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
It’s totally useless
I still have the issue where it won’t download episodes
I have to cancel the download and start again
It’s totally confusing
[doublepost=1506768443][/doublepost]Just noticed that you can’t rate Apple apps! What are they scared of?

36736738793_09f005d952_b.jpg

I vividly remember checking the App Store rating of yosemite when it first came out. The screen would constantly be filled with 1 or 2 star ratings yet somehow they showed an average rating of three or better all the time. Blindness.

potentmf

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2016
Not a fan of new Podcast app, but that it stops playing, it has happened only a couple of times. Most of the time, keeps playing (I'm pretty much using Podcast app all day long), but I am using the "Up Next" playlist/function.

Related thread on this: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/podcasts-not-playing-in-order-anymore.2069567

I wonder if this might have to do how one starts to play their podcasts: selecting from "Episodes" playlist, or clicking on a podcast via "Shows"? And what sort and play orders that are set for each podcast folder and or playlist? The "Listen Now" list seems to have some odd behavior (I delete that off the app).

It stops playing after about 10 minutes of play. At first I thought someone was trying to call but it happened while nothing was going on. After pushing play again it doesn't happen. This has happened on my phone and iPad. I've never tried the Listen Now list because I'm behind on podcasts.
[doublepost=1507644700][/doublepost]
Pocketcasts. One time purchase that was 100% worth it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pocket-casts/id414834813

I also recently tried the premium subscription for Overcast (still have it for a year), but cancelled auto-renewal and deleted the app since I very much preferred Pocketcasts (and Castro) over it.

I was trying to avoid paying for it twice. (I have it on my Android) Until iOS 11, the podcast app was sufficient.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
yes, I can't figure out how to add multiple podcasts to play in a row. It seems like they keep replacing each other.

This has been an issue with v9,10 and seems to be present in v11.

I have seen this in all of them. After much use, the Up Next list ceases to work correctly. Another symptom: dragging a podcast to reorder the list causes the podcast to drop off the list.

When this starts to happen, I need to close Podcasts from the Switcher and restart. Things will go back to normal, for a while.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I agree 100% with original poster. Prior to iOS 11, it was my preferred podcast app, simple but it did what I wanted it to do. Now it's a graphics mess. If anyone knows of a better podcast app let me know.
I am all about Overcast. It sync's across devices, and the developer keeps it up to date. Would recommend.

Reactions: cats2books

cipher29

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
Not sure why Apple felt the need to completely mess up this Podcast app .. I know many who hated it, but I was always an apologist for it until iOS 11.. Maybe I'm just getting old, but why is it so damn confusing to do the basics? I've moved to Overcast.

Reactions: cats2books

CrzyP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
The Podcasts app is garbage now. It doesn't even have the option to "Mark as Played." Instead, I have to do that through iTunes or Apple TV! So much for cutting the iTunes umbilical cord.

mikel54

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2022
Well I just tried out MacOS11 (Big Sur) on my 2014 macMini. I knew Apple dropped iTunes. BUT I didn't know they forgot that people listen to podcasts!!! I have a "Classic" iPod (160Gig) and a model A1236, that the
'podcast.app" won't even see. The music app will let me put on a "playlist", but WON'T show them once on the pod. WHAT is Apple thinking OR not! podcast is only good to play podcasts ON the computer and lacks basic organization ability. I'll stick to OSX.13 iTunes to get anything done.
It's 2022 I'm a little late finding out, but at least I didn't buy that M1 mini and I won't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.