Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gguerini

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Hello,

I listed to a lot of podcasts (25 subscriptions). I noticed that since I upgraded to iOS 9.x.x, the Podcast app is taking up a lot of space. I have it configured to download only the latest episode and to delete all played episodes.

Right now, as you can see in the picture, the Podcast app is using 1.4 GB, but there's only 294 MB worth of data (episodes). The app is using 1.1GB of "Documents & Data". That's ridiculous!

Has anybody seen this before?

IMG_3804.PNG IMG_3805.PNG

I know I can use third-party podcast players, but that's not the point here. :)

ps: I took both screenshots pretty much at the same time. My battery dropped 2% in a few seconds. o_O

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3805.PNG
    IMG_3805.PNG
    226.8 KB · Views: 602
  • IMG_3804.PNG
    IMG_3804.PNG
    122.6 KB · Views: 548

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Yeah - I am having the podcast document and data problem as well. Before podcast was built in, you could just delete and redownload. Now its stuck and I cannot find a way to delete it. I've tried cache cleaners and iFunBox, but cannot find where podcast data is stored.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Still having the same issue. I had 2.5GB of docs and data. I tried the download a larger app than you have room for trick and that only recovered 1GB from elsewhere but didn't touch the podcast app.

However, deleting the podcast app and redownloading it wiped the podcasts docs and data and I gain my 2.5GB back. Just don't forget to turn on syncing in Settings > Podcasts so it'll redownload your podcast subs and downloads.

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
I was having the same issue and think I found a fix. I went into Settings -> Podcasts and turned off Sync Podcasts option, backed out to Settings, then went back into Podcasts and turned Sync Podcasts back on, freeing up the more than 1GB of "Documents & Data" that I had locked away.

Reactions: Lynx685

Lynx685

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2020
I was having the same issue and think I found a fix. I went into Settings -> Podcasts and turned off Sync Podcasts option, backed out to Settings, then went back into Podcasts and turned Sync Podcasts back on, freeing up the more than 1GB of "Documents & Data" that I had locked away.
Thank you this worked for me to a certain extent, it halved my storage space from 1.6 GB to 650 MB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.