Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pinktank

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
*Disclaimer: Poetic sent me this case for a review

I just got this case in the mail a couple days ago. I had come across it while looking for an around the house case that would protect against bumps while remaining minimal, and they happened to have it available to their reviewers.

The case is made of silicon, not tpu, so it is quite flexible, but the amount of material they used makes it quite burly and both the corners and the edges feel quite protected and do not slip away or bend out like with some other cases when held. Though I must mention that it is somewhat heavy for a silicone case, being dense and rigid, not squishy. It's surface is very soft to touch and a bit of lint magnet, and does not offer that much grip despite appearances, as the squares are tightly spaced. The molding is very clean with most edges being trimmed to tight tolerances unlike some of the even more expensive cases that I have seen.

The cutouts for the camera, mics, the speaker and the charging port are all well finished and chamfered. The camera hole is huge, I am not sure why, but it is not a detriment. Both the apple and a third party plug fit through the case so there seems to be no issues in that regard, the speakers are also not blocked. It would be nice if they could bevel the edges as deeply as they do with the camera on the microphones, since these are omni directional ones meant to pick up a wider pattern, but I have yet to see a a case that does so. The buttons are super responsive and easy to use.

I feel like poetic did not need to keep the case so thick all along the back and could have went down to a shallow layer of silicone after two squares in the grid, this would also given the user a little ledge to hold. All in all, it will give the back of your ipad some protection if you somehow drop it smack in the middle of a bedpost or something :p

The front lip is probably the highest I've seen in any ipad case, you could probably use it if you work in a gravel factory or something and still not have the actual screen touching anything :) This lip makes the case seem like it's expanding a lot around the four edges, but if you take a second look, you'll see that it actually is over the margins of the ipad screen itself. The case does not add much to the size of the ipad in height or width, though it does so in thickness if you count the lip.

It's 111 grams
for comparison, the smart cover is 69 grams

btpu9RN.jpg

QnPBOaB.jpg

Lv746X3.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.