Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

contacos

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Maybe a silly question but it just randomly happened again as I was walking the dog outside in 17 degrees! spring weather of Germany but my iPhone 15 Plus screen got so dark and I could not move the switch further up (most likely to save battery life or something?) but it got me thinking "what is the point of a brighter screen to use outside when it dims as soon as it is remotely warm outside?

Reactions: Wizec

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Maybe a silly question but it just randomly happened again as I was walking the dog outside in 17 degrees! spring weather of Germany but my iPhone 15 Plus screen got so dark and I could not move the switch further up (most likely to save battery life or something?) but it got me thinking "what is the point of a brighter screen to use outside when it dims as soon as it is remotely warm outside?
Settings app>Accessibility>Display & Text Size>Auto Brightness. Turn off.

Reactions: trevpimp

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Settings app>Accessibility>Display & Text Size>Auto Brightness. Turn off.
If it was auto-brightness, the screen would get brighter outside, not dimmer, right?

I've seen this same issue, with the screen abruptly getting very dim outdoors in the sun -- particularly on summer days. I assumed it was related to the phone trying to not overheat itself, though the OP here seems to have the issue on a relatively cool day.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If it was auto-brightness, the screen would get brighter outside, not dimmer.

I've seen this same issue, with the screen abruptly getting very dim outdoors in the sun -- particularly on summer days. I have a hunch it's related to heat.
I have Auto Brightness on, my display gets dimmer when the screen gets hit with sunlight. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Jackbequickly

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
It won’t dim it much if it’s cool or cold outside in the sun. But if in the sun on a hot day— it’ll go almost black to prevent overheating.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
It won’t dim it much if it’s cool or cold outside in the sun. But if in the sun on a hot day— it’ll go almost black to prevent overheating.
And then I get in trouble for not scanning my QR code before getting on the light rail here. Very annoying. By the way it gets hot here in AZ, and this happens to be the worse method of buying fare, but alas, not any of our fault.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
That’s odd, was the phone running very warm?
That’s the sort of behaviour iPhones do when the phone is overheating and needs to cool down.

Typically if the phone is at normal operating temperature the Auto Brightness will make the screen as bright as possible when you go outside to ensure the content on the screen is as legible as possible when you are in bright environment.

Reactions: Helmsley
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.