Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
0x0ss.png
0x0ss-2.png
0x0ss-3.png
400x800bb.png

Point To Home - Custom Compass
iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch
🔗 App Link 🔗

I developed a simple app that has a compass that can point towards a location of your choosing instead of north. This can be used to know which way home is, or discover the relation between two locations.

It's completely free, no ads, no data transmitted to me. I made it as an experiment to practice with Swift.

Let me know if you experience a bug. I would be happy to fix it. I think that I caught the obvious ones (such as iPad/Apple Watch orientation flips) but you always miss something in projects like these.

- Zach

Last edited:

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Seems like a nice simple app that does what it says on the tin! No trouble installing and setting up on my watch and phone.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Neat little app - looks to work quite well. Suggested enhancement - allow user to change the textual identification of the location being pointed to, e.g., instead of "Seattle", let user change the text to "Space Needle".

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
Neat little app - looks to work quite well. Suggested enhancement - allow user to change the textual identification of the location being pointed to, e.g., instead of "Seattle", let user change the text to "Space Needle".
This is a great idea. Working on adding it now! ;)

Reactions: sparksd

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
I'm a retired old S/W & H/W engineer so I'm curious - how long did it take you to gen this up?

Edit - wanted to add that it works fine on M1 12.9 Pro, cellular Mini 6, & 14 Pro Max.
I started working on it Monday, so 6 days ago. I submitted the first version which was iPhone only on Tuesday, and it was approved at about 3am on Wednesday after a revision I had to make in the wording that confused the reviewer into thinking the compass should be pointing north.

Probably put about 8-10 hours for the iPhone version, about 2 for the iPad version (almost all of it was figuring out how to adjust bearing for rotation as the UI scaled effortlessly), and 3-4 for the Apple Watch. (The syncing system for the watch is honestly a pain.)

An experienced Swift developer could have probably made this in under 6 hours, but I didn’t have a lot of practice prior. I wish they would make the submission process a little easier, for example you have to maintain a privacy policy website even if you have it checked that you send no data “home” at all. How could I even compromise the user’s privacy in that case? :p

--

Thanks for the confirmation of it working on those devices. I'm worried it'll turn out that specific older iPads don't work correctly, I'm not sure when the iPad line got the compass functionality and the docs only talk about which software version it was added. It might have been cellular models only until a specific point. I guess if the App Store Review team is happy I should be happy.

Reactions: cogzero and sparksd

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Oh, I've wanted something like this for ages on my watch! Thank you!

The one thing that's missing for my use case is the ability to set a pin location on the watch itself. I don't always have my phone with me! Ideally, it would be possible to search for a specific location. But I don't know how difficult that all is!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: zach-coleman

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
The one thing thing that's missing for my use case is the ability to set a pin location on the watch itself. I don't always have my phone with me! Ideally, it would be possible to search for a specific location. But I don't know how difficult that all is!
I considered this while implementing the apple watch app, but shelved it due to syncing concerns. (It appeared making it both ways is even more of a pain than making it one way.) I'll try to revisit that in the near future now that I at least got it relatively stable in a one way configuration.

For entering an address, I've had a weird amount of trouble trying to get that working. If I continue to fail at that, I think a less elegant substitute would be it remembering your ~5 most recent pins (inc. custom titles) and letting you jump back to one of them in the settings section, which I assume could also be a screen on the watch app.

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
What is the chance of adding a distance?
With a distance added you could then build upon other items such as time to ETA and further add a method of arriving at ETA via Walking or Driving.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I have a question before downloading it: Can you use the app to walk through the streets following the direction in real time? Sort of a navigation but without turn to turn indications, just knowing in which direction is the destination.

I guess it works better with points that are at a certain distance, and once you get closer the app won’t be as helpful.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
What is the chance of adding a distance?
With a distance added you could then build upon other items such as time to ETA and further add a method of arriving at ETA via Walking or Driving.
Distance should be possible but ETA would be extremely difficult. I guess if you did ETA at a fixed MPH (say 3mph for walking and 60 for driving) and calculated it as the crow flies it would be possible, but I’m not sure if that metric would be of much use.

I have a question before downloading it: Can you use the app to walk through the streets following the direction in real time? Sort of a navigation but without turn to turn indications, just knowing in which direction is the destination.

I guess it works better with points that are at a certain distance, and once you get closer the app won’t be as helpful.
It updates in real time as long as the app is in focus. The way it is programmed is to take your current location, the pins location, and calculate the angle between the two. When you get within about 10 feet it loses accuracy and can behave erratically but that is a limitation of the gps/compass of the iPhone, nothing I can do about it.

I also imagine in dense urban environments the accuracy could be poor, especially on devices without dual band GPS. I haven’t gotten a chance to test it in one, though.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Distance should be possible but ETA would be extremely difficult. I guess if you did ETA at a fixed MPH (say 3mph for walking and 60 for driving) and calculated it as the crow flies it would be possible, but I’m not sure if that metric would be of much use.

It updates in real time as long as the app is in focus. The way it is programmed is to take your current location, the pins location, and calculate the angle between the two. When you get within about 10 feet it loses accuracy and can behave erratically but that is a limitation of the gps/compass of the iPhone, nothing I can do about it.

I also imagine in dense urban environments the accuracy could be poor, especially on devices without dual band GPS. I haven’t gotten a chance to test it in one, though.
Thank you for your honesty.

By the way, what’s the dual GPS thing? GPS+GLONASS? I think my A15 iPhone SE3 already has that.

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
By the way, what’s the dual GPS thing? GPS+GLONASS? I think my A15 iPhone SE3 already has that.
Yep. iPhone 14 Pro/15 (all) have it. I don't think it has any effect on the compass accuracy (to north), though.

If I’m honest, I would prefer the arrow we see in the app as the app icon. The current icon seems a bit 2016.

But I guess that’s just my personal taste.
This was one of the original concepts I tried for the app icon, however the arrow used in the app is one of Apple's SF symbols (location.north.line.fill) which are not allowed to be used in things like app icons. I'm a novice graphic designer at best, I do agree there's room for improvement.

I could add something like this as an alternative icon option, if you would like it more.

simple.png
Simulator Screenshot - iPhone 15 Pro - 2024-02-26 at 08.06.24.png

Have you looked at how other Apps show data. It is possible to show ETA. See Anchor Pointer Compass GPS:- https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/anchor-pointer-compass-gps/id791684332
Aw dang, didn't know someone else had already done this idea, haha. I'll look into ETA though. :)

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Yep. iPhone 14 Pro/15 (all) have it. I don't think it has any effect on the compass accuracy (to north), though.

This was one of the original concepts I tried for the app icon, however the arrow used in the app is one of Apple's SF symbols (location.north.line.fill) which are not allowed to be used in things like app icons. I'm a novice graphic designer at best, I do agree there's room for improvement.

I could add something like this as an alternative icon option, if you would like it more.

View attachment 2353143 View attachment 2353144

Aw dang, didn't know someone else had already done this idea, haha. I'll look into ETA though. :)
Nah, just do it the way you like it. But I personally prefer a much simpler icon, in line with that modification. I’d do the arrow a bit narrower and call it a day.

You could also change the degraded background color for a solid/flat color but again, that’s just personal taste, so you do you!

Reactions: Taldric2022

Taldric2022

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2022
Downloaded and I like it. Simple and direct and works. I've added it to my "Navigation" folder as one of my standard tools.

A couple suggestions for future development:
- The ability to type in a name, look it up in the Contacts data, and set a pin to the address from the contacts data.
- The ability to have a quick lookup definition for "home" that is saved in the application, so it is always easily available. Since the app's name is "Point to home" it would make sense to have a single user-defined location that is a quick button press to a "home" location. Note that "home" doesn't necessarily mean the user's actual home address, but rather a quick-link to a specific location. Perhaps the app requests this info the first time it is launched (actually, any time the application launches and a default location is not defined).

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Neat app! It reminds me of the precision finding feature for AirTags. I agree with one of the other comments, it would be cool to see the distance (as the crow flies).

1709074042990.jpeg

When you get within about 10 feet it loses accuracy and can behave erratically but that is a limitation of the gps/compass of the iPhone, nothing I can do about it.
You could perhaps change the arrow to say something like "You're here" when within 10 feet or so, rather than having it go wonky.

Last edited:

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
I’m traveling this week so I’ll be slower, but I’m just popping in to say I am actively investigating adding as the crow flies distance (should be pretty easy), and saving pins (medium). After that I’ll look further into ETA.

Reactions: Beards
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.