Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is 2018 MacBook Pro an worthy upgrade from 2017 models for the price?

• Yes

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 46 74.2%

• Total voters

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
Is it ?

This question represents use case of everyone in general. Not hardcore enthusiasts or professional cinematographers or 3D designers or something like that. The average use case of majority such as designers, developers, web video producers etc.

P.S. If you have opinions about upgrading from 2016 models, share that as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: macintoshmac

DarthVader!

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2013
Mustafar
What tasks do you need the computer for? Do you need 6 core processing, or greater then 16GB of memory?

In all likelihood most people do not need the 2018 MBP when they're on a 2017 model. I've seen many people here talk about using a 2009 -> 2013 laptop, so if they're content with older laptops, I cannot help but think upgrading from last year is unnecessary. How you use it, is of course the deciding factor.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
What tasks do you need the computer for? Do you need 6 core processing, or greater then 16GB of memory?
I use my computer mostly for watching movies, youtube (entertainment) & Photoshop, Illustrator/ Chrome devTools (work). Mostly.

Sometimes when I play remux 4K bluray with high bitrates and it fails to hardware decode (it happens quite often with 4K UHD remuxes) the CPU hits 100%. And it stutters for software playback. Not that I watch UHD 4K all the time but once or twice every month I download a movie that I like and sometimes it gives trouble. it would surely be nice to see that the CPU can handle even though it's on fire, when hardware decode fails.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
Is it ?

This question represents use case of everyone in general. Not hardcore enthusiasts or professional cinematographers or 3D designers or something like that. The average use case of majority such as designers, developers, web video producers etc.

P.S. If you have opinions about upgrading from 2016 models, share that as well.

I'm honestly baffled, 6 core and 32G of ram is pretty cool for a mobile device. I've got a loaded 2016, Skylake 2.9GHz i7, 16gb ram, RP 460 with a replaced 2017 Keyboard. Not sure what to do? Is this update significant enough to try and offload the 2016 and shell out some dough? What are others thinking?

Reactions: macintoshmac

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
If you benefit from more cores or 32 GB of RAM, yes. Otherwise, case by case.

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
This CPU gen is still vulnerable to Spectre and Meltdown. Ice lake will provide hardware fix.

Just one more argument against upgrading from 2016/2017 Macbook Pro 15".

You are welcome :);)

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
I'm honestly baffled, 6 core and 32G of ram is pretty cool for a mobile device. I've got a loaded 2016, Skylake 2.9GHz i7, 16gb ram, RP 460 with a replaced 2017 Keyboard. Not sure what to do? Is this update significant enough to try and offload the 2016 and shell out some dough? What are others thinking?
I don't know what your use cases are. But I can tell you what mine is and what I've found so far from reading stuff online talking to people etc.

I'm a designer by profession and sometimes I do development work on my mac as well. My primary concern is whether or now having 2 extra cores would make things microsecond faster or not. For example when u click on Photoshop icon or system pref. icon in dock, how fast it opens - stuff like that. In my use case sustained work load isn't a thing. Unless I'm playing tomb raider in which case the CPU gets quite high (IIRC). What I'be been told is that, the new models don't make day to day usage any faster in any meaningful way that I could notice. So on that note I'm good; no apparent reason to look for an upgrade. (I own a 2017 13" entry touchbar by the way)

However I get that new model adds a bunch of features. Like better display (not exactly if trueTone is useless to you), better sound, Bluetooth 5.0, slight faster SSD, higher freq. RAM, etc. Thing is these things won't make enough of a change in my daily usage for which I can justify the high price tag. I already like the sound, I don't have (or probably won't own one in a year or two) a Bluetooth 5.0 device, SSD speed I won't notice for sure, RAM definitely not.

I've seen couple of established youtubers say that they definitely don't recommend upgrade from 2017 models. And some feel the same for 2016/2017 that the upgrade isn't worth the price unless you can justify the price you'll pay for new features.

So to summarise my answer to your question - I don't know. :p
I am also curious about what others are thinking; hence this thread I posted. Everybody would love to always have latest and greatest in tech. I will too. But I already have a system that does the job that I want it to do(for the most parts). From what I can tell, if you have any reason to not like your computer, then look for things that can make your computing easy. (That's what I tell myself when I'm in doubt :p )

P.S. About keyboard. I love mine. Only once in the past 11 months the left CMD button got something stuck underneath it for which the button was feeling mushy and hard to press. But after a couple of hours it went away automatically.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
There's a news thread and a merged thread regarding the i9, please review those for that topic
Thanks. Found it. And the i9 is starting to look bad. The ThrottleGate is back and very prominent this time.

On another note, would you happen to know if there is any actual noticeable difference in system snappiness / responsiveness because of the quad core CPUs (compared to last year's 2017 models)?

It might seem irksome to people who've seen my posts in other threads asking the same question. But seriously, I'm getting mixed answers even from 2018 MBP owners. I'm not referring to sustained load on CPUs. In that case 2018's would definitely be faster. But I need to know for regular usage like app opening / closing, boot time, responsiveness of windows etc. Is there any difference in snappiness due to the CPU being quad core now ?

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Thanks. Found it. And the i9 is starting to look bad. The ThrottleGate is back and very prominent this time.

On another note, would you happen to know if there is any actual noticeable difference in system snappiness / responsiveness because of the quad core CPUs (compared to last year's 2017 models)?

It might seem irksome to people who've seen my posts in other threads asking the same question. But seriously, I'm getting mixed answers even from 2018 MBP owners. I'm not referring to sustained load on CPUs. In that case 2018's would definitely be faster. But I need to know for regular usage like app opening / closing, boot time, responsiveness of windows etc. Is there any difference in snappiness due to the CPU being quad core now ?

CPU being quad core, and the SSDs being so fast, I doubt if one will be able to notice apps opening any faster. If yes, more power to us!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.