Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you like a higher fidelity audio (FLAC/HiFi) streaming option for Apple Music

• Yes, I'd love to stream in higher quality

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • No, the current quality is fine for me

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

zakarhino

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Hey all,

Pretty self-explanatory -- just wanted to make this quick thread to gauge whether or not people would be interested in having a HiFi/FLAC/Lossless level of quality available for streaming on Apple Music (a la Tidal HiFi or the like). So I've attached a poll for y'all to vote on; it would be great to have some comments explaining your poll choice (i.e, 'yes, there should be a HiFi option but you have to pay more' or whatever).

Thanks

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
If it were ever implemented Apple would use ALAC and not FLAC. For me I only would be interested in possibly paying more if it were Hi-Res (96/24) and a some 5.1 content. As of now most of my :apple:Music listening is working out/running (iPhone/UE11 Pros) and background at home. The only need for Hi-Res lossless would be in my HT room listening.

Also I would only be interested if Apple were to insist on a specific Hi-Res master conforming to a set of guidelines similar to the "Mastered for iTunes" program (mainly a higher dynamic range). The overly compressed nature (Loudness Wars) of most music released in the last decade would see little to no benefit from being released in Hi-Res (GIGO).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.