Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Name your favorite US cell carrier

• Total voters

killr_b

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
Suckerfornia
My choice was not based on dropped calls, bars, or contracts.

I like Cingular because they are consistently first to the market with new technologies that I am into. (Statement w/ disclaimer. ;) )

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I picked Verizon, because in CNY, Cingular's coverage sucks, T-Mobile's is almost non-existant, and Sprint it a little dot on the map.

As far as Verizon Wireless as a company, I absolutely hate them.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I have Verizon and love it. I have had experience with other companys and it is the best in my area.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Wow, I'm surprised. I had them for about 2 years (2000-2002) and switched because the plan/service/reception just wasn't worth it.

Verizion is the preferred provider of choice around here. (Sprint SUCKS here!)

But I'm originally from Boerne, Texas, Where Sprint is the preferred one.

We just never switched.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
interesting that Cingular is the #2 preferred network (from this small sample size) of MacRumors readers, yet there are new threads every 5 minutes as to why Cingular is hated by "everyone."

Maybe people are bummed that they have to have a new contract (and possibly pay an early termination fee) to get the iPhone. :confused:

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
I've had Cingular for five years and had few problems. Before that, I had Sprint and hated it. Even the Radio Shack employees were recommending Verizon over Sprint due to hands on experience.

seh80

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2005
Chicago, IL USA
I've been with tmobile since 1998 (voicestream back then?). I could not be happier, and wouldn't leave them even for an iphone.

I've not ONCE had a dropped call. I live in KS on the border, near Kansas City, Missouri. I've taken road trips and the single place I didn't have service was a horrible remote town in Arkansas (visiting the inlaws, oy, I wont be back). It kept great signal from KS to TX, AZ, NV, CA, and everywhere in between that we drove. Customer service is more or less very good. Rates are good too.

My husband had sprint for a bit, and about 45% of his calls got dropped. He had perhaps 2 or 3 signal bars at any given time, and he could rarely make a call indoors. Terrible! He's now joined me on tmobile!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I appreciate Sprint. Calling customer service always gets things done properly.

Calls are good here in the Orlando Floriduh area, but signal strength isn't as good as it is almost anywhere else. 3g data access is excellent, though.

Prior to 2000, I'd been with Aerial, which was consumed by Deustche Telekomm/Voicestream. Service was bad but I'm sure things have improved a lot since that time.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
I've only been with Verizon so, I can't really give my thoughts on favorite. I have not had any dropped calls in the Seattle Area and coverage is good. Don't use any features like text messaging, web, camera, etc. as I still use a nokia from the year 2002. :eek:

I do find the selection of phone to be disappointing. And I don't care for the v-cast/get-it-now stuff.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I started out with One2One in UK. They then were bought out/changed name whatever to T-Mobile. They were cheap, great service and range. I was with them for AGES then when the SLVR came out I wanted it in Silver but I could only get it in black on TMobile. So I changed to Vodafone just to get the phone in silver. Big mistake, I pay more a month now and hardly use my phone like I did. The fone is a pain in the ass to use and the speaker is broken. Once my contract is up in August hopefully we will know more about which provider will be supplying the iPhone. Depending on price I will go with the iPhone. But if it is £50 a month contract crap then I will return to Tmobile. :) I refuse to pay more than £20 flat rate + call charges for a contract and hate Pay as you go.

I

itsme92

Verizon

2005, and since 2001 for other people in my family, I have always had service in my hometown of Palo Alto and around the Bay Area, I have great service on the East Coast, and I get great reception on the ski slopes. I have never got a dropped call and very few missed calls.

Prior to that we had Sprint. They sucked. (but I hear there better now)

However, it is starting to bug me how all the cool phones come out first on GSM. I'm eligible for a new cell phone this week, so I'm gonna get another basic flip phone with a vga camera to replace my LG that's beaten to hell and has a shot battery.

Oh, and I agree with ITASOR, I too absolutly hate Verizon as a company. But, as a practical cell phone user who is not an early adopter, the only things I care about are bars, dropped calls, and call quality.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
My parents had Verizon in the past and they said that they didn't get nearly as good reception as T-Mobile which is what they are with now. I currently have one of the only two rooms in the house that has a bar of reception. The entire block radius around my house has no reception whatsoever and loses calls everytime you go into that one block radius. Also I've spoken with some people at my school about Cingular's coverage and everyone says it sucks. So all in all I've had no good mobilephone company give me good coverage. But I voted for T-Mobile because they seem to suck the least. I live near Murrieta, California.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I've got good coverage with Sprint in most of Connecticut so I can't complain because all the places I travel I get service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.