Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your M2 Mac Studio make a high-pitched “whine” noise?

• Yes

Votes: 19 17.3%
  • No

Votes: 91 82.7%

• Total voters

Think77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
I just ordered a new M2 Mac Studio! Really excited. However, some forum members seem to have heard the dreaded M1 “era” whine noise in one or more online reviews of the new M2 version. So, a question (poll) for you guys who have already received your new M2 Mac Studios: does it “whine”?

ps3zocker

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
I tested the M2 Pro Mac mini in January and just couldn't stand its fan "noise". It wasn't really loud but noticeable in comparison to my M1 Mac mini. The difference to the Mac Studio is just under 400€. If this one is silent, I'l gladly take it.

Mac_fan75

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2023
I currently have the M1 Max Studio, no whine but in a very silent room the fans are noticeable. I will be receiving the M2 Max Studio later this day and post my experience.

I do have an ear for coil whine noises as I returned my LG 27 Oled screen twice because of the coil whine noise.

ChrisRRR

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2023
I had both ultras. The M1 Ultra whined to the point I could hear it 20 feet away, M2 Ultra is silent.
I had the same experience with a M1 Max that I had to return after just four days. I could hear it whistle from 5 meters away. My GF even noticed the whistle without me pointing it out when she came home that night. I really really hope it is fixed since my I7 iMac died last week :-(

Reactions: ElectricPotato

howdytom

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2020
I am curious too. Did Apple fixed the high-frequency noise on the Mac Studio M2 Ultra model Who is already using the M2 Ultra model? ❓

I am highly interested in users who switched from the Mac Studio M1 Ultra to the M2 Ultra.

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
I have three M1 Studios: 2 Ultras and one Max. One of the two Ultras has the coil whine. It's NOT fan noise. It's also intermittent, and only audible in very quiet room. The solution for me was swap it to a room at the office where there's so much ambient noise it can't be heard. I also just got an M2 Ultra Studio yesterday, no whine at all.

Bottom line, contrary to rumors you see online, it's an intermittent noise and only seems to be present on some Studios, not all of them. Not sure if that will carry through to the M2 version. As I recall some teardowns showed that there were two different power supply designs/providers on the original Studio and I've wondered if only one of those was susceptible to the coil whine issue, hence the fact that it only shows up on some Studios and not others.

Think77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
Would be great if we could differentiate between the Max and Ultra Models. With the 1stGen, the Max was more prone to whistling than the Ultra iirc
Yeah, I agree. However, I can't seem to change the voting options now that it contains data/answers. I encourage people to elaborate here in the thread (model, data of purchase etc.).

ckrug

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2017
I’m picking up an M2 Ultra later today and will contribute to the poll after I have a few days with it. I thought I could get used to the high pitched noise, but as someone with tinnitus it drives me absolutely crazy.

I’m also sensitive to another non-Apple device we have in our house; It makes a high pitched sound that I can hear, but my wife cannot, so I can understand why this doesn’t bother everyone.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Bottom line, contrary to rumors you see online, it's an intermittent noise
You don't speak for all those that had Studio, they are not all intermittent noise, mine was *all the time*. And it's not coil noise either IMO of course, just as yours is, that's more of a buzz, this is a whistle.

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
You don't speak for all those that had Studio, they are not all intermittent noise, mine was *all the time*. And it's not coil noise either IMO of course, just as yours is, that's more of a buzz, this is a whistle.
Coil whine is all about frequency; this is high frequency hence the higher pitch.

Reactions: G5isAlive

designerdave72

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
M2 Max Studio here, fans are on 1000 rpm so lower than the M1 Max Studio, virtually hear nothing and no whine.

Is that by default? If so, then that’s what ‘it appears Apple have done to address the whine’. I could be wrong however. Someone will tell me I’m sure…

designerdave72

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
Aye default, also in a game stays at that level, much better than the original Studio.

Only if you had the issue with the original of course. Not everyone has, including me with my November purchase of a Max. Thanks for the info 👍🏻

Mac_fan75

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2023
Only if you had the issue with the original of course. Not everyone has, including me with my November purchase of a Max. Thanks for the info 👍🏻
I didn't had a coil whine but the fans could be heard in a very silent room, but they solved that. Coil whine is just a bad luck I guess and should return it.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Well this is very disappointing. I exchanged my M1 Ultra 5 times before giving up. I was hoping they fixed it. Mac Pro would have been better but that’s $3,000 more just to get rid of the whine.

upritbass

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Vegas!
Well this is very disappointing. I exchanged my M1 Ultra 5 times before giving up. I was hoping they fixed it. Mac Pro would have been better but that’s $3,000 more just to get rid of the whine.
What is disappointing? The only complaints in this thread are coming from M1 owners.

Reactions: Tagbert

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
What is disappointing? The only complaints in this thread are coming from M1 owners.
No? Poll states this (note it says M2 not M1) and poll has some Yes responses

Does your M2 Mac Studio make a high-pitched “whine” noise?​

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.