Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reduce Motion

• On

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • Off

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • I like Rose Gold

Votes: 18 8.9%

• Total voters

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
Exact same thing here iPhone 6s

I was thinking maybe some 'planned obsolescence' thing going on and killing the iPhone 6's slowly or some nonsense like that (which would be a shame as the phone is 13 months old)..

But, if it's happening to the 6S's as well..that's a head-scratcher for sure then..I'm sure there's some underlying reason for why it has to be - but, whatever it is - I'd trade for the 8.4.1 snappiness lol

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
i run with it off, if i dont want parallax on home screen i can still do so via setting the wallpaper, the fade i dont really like, i got used to the transition between screens whether it being slide out from/into (old ios) or zoom (new ios)

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I hate reduce motion. I sometimes use it when I am fed up with animation lags/frame drops, but after a couple days I have to turn it back on. It just feels so wrong, and it feels so slow! It takes the same amount of time as the other animations, except it is dull with nothing happening but a fade. Having the visual feedback doesn't feel as much like waiting because it's more interesting to watch, and it just feels more responsive and alive. I also have a "sense of place" like someone else mentioned, without the animations it feels like stuff is just popping up completely out of nowhere and it makes me feel almost... overwhelmed when I am using my device. Oh, I also hate the way control center doesn't bounce with reduce motion. It feels really bland and weird. The bounce drops frames occasionally with reduce motion disabled though, so.

Conclusion - I'm a sucker for eye candy. I love animations. I love when I'm using technology and I think "Wow, that looked pretty cool." Weird, I know. Part of the reason I like iOS so much are the vast amount of animations. Yes, android got tons of animation with lollipop, but many things still just feel meh. However, I hate when animations are choppy. At that point, I don't even want an animation, makes everything feel unpleasant to use. I've toyed around with using increase contrast for smoother animations but the nasty gray that setting throws across the system is completely unbearable for me.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
This ones a tough one because I love having reduce motion turned on because I hate the warping effect of zooming in and out of apps but need this feature turned on to catch the little live movements when skimming through photos, which is the only reason i have it left on.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Was going to make a new thread..but, feel like this should go here..

On an iPhone 6 running 9.0.2...I feel like I end up having to press almost everything twice, A LOT of the time..

i.e. Coming out of an app and opening a new one or unlocking via Touch ID and trying to open that first app..

I have reduce motion set to ON and still don't find the device snappy enough to keep up.

Am I expecting too much and this is the standard or do I need to address something?

This right here is the number 1 reason I had to go back to 8.4.1. It's maddening! It takes me multiple taps to get anything to happen when it would happen instantly on 8.4.1. If they ever fix this I'll jump to iOS 9 in a heartbeat.

if anyone wondering, this still occurs in 9.1 beta 4

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i have it set to on cuz the constant fade in and fade out while switching between apps made my head spinn. i switch between twitter fb instagram and imessage a lot and the zoom in zoom out is the WORST. it also makes everything feel soooo slow

Really don't see the point + saves battery + increases smoothness = OFF

u actually mean ON then

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Same here. It's the first thing I turn off after a reset.

Does it really not let you view Live Photos with it on? Talk about NOT understanding the actual problem.
Yeah, applying it to everything doesn't quite make sense--certainly it should apply to the UI and related effects, but animations within apps and/or those related to content (like Live Photos) don't quite fit in with that.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Was going to make a new thread..but, feel like this should go here..

On an iPhone 6 running 9.0.2...I feel like I end up having to press almost everything twice, A LOT of the time..

i.e. Coming out of an app and opening a new one or unlocking via Touch ID and trying to open that first app..

I have reduce motion set to ON and still don't find the device snappy enough to keep up.

Am I expecting too much and this is the standard or do I need to address something?

Still occurs on iOS 9.1 beta 5, was hoping it would be fixed in a 9.1 release but not looking like it. Sent feedback to Apple last beta. Waiting on this to be fixed before updating my iPhone 6 from 8.4.1

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I keep Reduce Motion toggled on, mainly because I feel that animations are an unnecessary waste of resources.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Back in iOS 7.0, we could turn off parallax without turning off the app zooming animation, I loved that :(

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I hate reduce motion. I sometimes use it when I am fed up with animation lags/frame drops, but after a couple days I have to turn it back on. It just feels so wrong, and it feels so slow! It takes the same amount of time as the other animations, except it is dull with nothing happening but a fade. Having the visual feedback doesn't feel as much like waiting because it's more interesting to watch, and it just feels more responsive and alive. I also have a "sense of place" like someone else mentioned, without the animations it feels like stuff is just popping up completely out of nowhere and it makes me feel almost... overwhelmed when I am using my device. Oh, I also hate the way control center doesn't bounce with reduce motion. It feels really bland and weird. The bounce drops frames occasionally with reduce motion disabled though, so.

Conclusion - I'm a sucker for eye candy. I love animations. I love when I'm using technology and I think "Wow, that looked pretty cool." Weird, I know. Part of the reason I like iOS so much are the vast amount of animations. Yes, android got tons of animation with lollipop, but many things still just feel meh. However, I hate when animations are choppy. At that point, I don't even want an animation, makes everything feel unpleasant to use. I've toyed around with using increase contrast for smoother animations but the nasty gray that setting throws across the system is completely unbearable for me.
Same feelings here. I really hate the fade in and fade out of reduced motion. I like to see the effect of going in and out of an app. Helps my brain process it even though I know what's going technically.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Even with this set, I still experience consistently poor, jumpy, stutters when doing something as simple as pushing the home button at the last screen, so the phone returns to the first screen. It stops, jerks and finally arrives at the first home screen. But hey! That's normal, all the iPhone 6 / 6 Plus and 6S / 6S Plus models we have are horrible that way.

Pay a premium and get substandard quality. It's the new Apple Way to further maximize profits.
Why waste time making the OS run smooth when the Apple faithful will put up with anything.... :eek:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thank you for that. The difference between "on" and "off" is very subtle to me. It's so subtle that I'm not sure I'd even notice one way or the other if someone didn't point it out to me. I had to check settings to see which option I had (It was off)
Really? Open or close an app and you can obviously tell the difference between things zooming and moving vs just fading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.