Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you like the new Mac Pro 2019

• Total voters

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
idealisk-grater__0713134_PE729282_S4.JPG
apple_mac_pro_display_pro_mac_pro_060319_big.jpg.large_2x.jpg

Apple_Mac-Pro-Display-Pro_Mac-Pro-Hand-Lift_060319_inline.gif.large.gif

Updated:
Cool Johnny Ive video from here:

https://www.macobserver.com/cool-stuff-found/wwdc-2019-the-not-shown-jony-ive-new-mac-pro-video/

What do you guys think of the (I dub thee) new Cheesegrater Mac Pro (nCMP). I'm freaking out with glee! What do you like or not like about it?

Last edited:

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
So I think the monitor is totally over priced. I'd complain about the SSD but you can get a 15TB NVMe SSD for under 2800 and a PCI card to run 4 NVMe blades for around 400bux. So I'll just spec the smallest apple SSD and basically ignore it. Ram from 3rd party. Not clear if the CPU is soldered in, but let's assume so. So that means you just have to commit to the number of cores.

Manic Harmonic

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2011
So I think the monitor is totally over priced. I'd complain about the SSD but you can get a 15TB NVMe SSD for under 2800 and a PCI card to run 4 NVMe blades for around 400bux. So I'll just spec the smallest apple SSD and basically ignore it. Ram from 3rd party. Not clear if the CPU is soldered in, but let's assume so. So that means you just have to commit to the number of cores.
Looking at the website it seems implied the CPU is upgradeable based on the animation of the CPU dropping onto the logic board (even in the 6,1 it was so considering this model is more expandable it makes sense)

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
This is the solution to storage:

15tb NVME SSD 3.5GB/sec (I've seen it as low as 2770)
http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop...300000U01125_B6NN193P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID!

And this PCI NVMe card (already works with the cMP):
http://highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/series-ssd7120-overview.htm
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1388123-REG/highpoint_ssd7120_nvme_u_2_raid.html

More info in this thread here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-pro-support-for-micron-9300-pro-15-36-tb-nvme-ssd.2179713/

All the above will be cheaper by the time the nCMP comes out. The highpoint card will give you room for 4 NVMe blades. Not sure where to tape/hold the 2.5" micron drive, but zip ties will be my friend. :D
[doublepost=1559592535][/doublepost]
PCIe 3.
[doublepost=1559591763][/doublepost]

Spinners are external - TB or a eSATA card.

Downer on the PCI3. I'm kind of ready to be free of spinners on the physical box. I have a NAS for that. High capacity NVMe drives are finally falling to below crazy apple SSD upgrade pricing. Note my post above on a really fast huge NVMe SSD above.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

thirdwaver

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2003
Northwest USA
Here’s what I’m worried about. This will be replacing an 8 core Mac Pro Late 2008 model with 2TB of SSD storage, upgraded video card, lots of RAM. The limitation for me today has not been hardware as much as that Apple cut me off from OS updates last year. I think I’ve gotten good mileage for my money up to now. The machine still yawns except during my largest Logic projects, but now that the entry price is $5k, And this new machine is so powerful, I can imagine sitting in this place in 2030 but worse. A machine that’s still considered Uber powerful, that I paid twice as much for, but Apple decides to cut me off of OS updates. Anyone have any reassuring words?

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Here’s what I’m worried about. This will be replacing an 8 core Mac Pro Late 2008 model with 2TB of SSD storage, upgraded video card, lots of RAM. The limitation for me today has not been hardware as much as that Apple cut me off from OS updates last year. I think I’ve gotten good mileage for my money up to now. The machine still yawns except during my largest Logic projects, but now that the entry price is $5k, And this new machine is so powerful, I can imagine sitting in this place in 2030 but worse. A machine that’s still considered Uber powerful, that I paid twice as much for, but Apple decides to cut me off of OS updates. Anyone have any reassuring words?

I hear you but that’s 2008... you was able to get 10 years of software updates. Plus I’m pretty sure theirs a way to get Mojave’s installed on yours with a little tinkering.

I do believe that this new Mac Pro will be upgradable and serviceable for years to come. I can see people using this into 2030.: this design is here to stay. The only thing that can slow it down is PCI4. But that’s probably 3 to 4 years away atleast before that’s standard and pci3 is dropped

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
My big concern is if it's PCI 3, PCI 5 is now out. It's basically 4x the speed of PCI3. I'd like to poo on apple about it, on the other hand, it's more intel not having a chipset to support the new standard.

So the dilemma is, do i wait a year and hope the new intel chipset and updated mac pro come out with PCI 5. Or, do I fear that intel doesnt update the chipset for a couple of years and by the time apple gets to updating it, it might be 3 years from now (or not ever). So do I just bite the bullet and get it now, or hold off for the much more modern PCI 5 standard?

AndreeOnline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2014
Zürich
This is the ugliest thing Apple has designed in a long, long time.

You're not looking at it right.

This is the most beautiful workstation there ever was (or soon to be). I can already see it in the pictures, including the insides. But I think some people who think it's ugly now will change their mind when they see it live.

The think the finish is extraordinary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.