Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What to run, what to run...

• Tiger! The newest and bestestest!

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Go Panther! Who needs widgets and whatnot!

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Are you really going to leave Jaguar all alone in the cold? Let it in!

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I say bah to OS X! Stick with System 9, it's a-number-one!

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Okay kids, I'll be getting my new Powerbook G3 in a few days, and I'm looking to triple-boot it with Ubuntu, System 9, and some variation of OS X. That's where you come in. On my old G3 desktop I ran Jaguar, but I'm thinking of going with Panther or Tiger (with XPostFacto). So, I'm starting this poll to see what people think I should run. Take into consideration performance, awesomeness, and features. I like Tiger, but I like Panther too. Jaguar might be faster, but lacks Safari and Expose. So... vote!

Ah, and the specs are:
333Mhz G3
192MB RAM (which will soon be upgraded to a full 512MB)
and I will be getting a 5400rpm HD for it soon too

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Let me put it this way.. I have some late model G3 iBooks as loaners. I put Tiger on one of them and it sucked. Just too damn slow, even with maxed out RAM. I'm probably just spoiled by faster Macs and expect all my Tigers to respond the same, but I just don't want to have beachballing simply because I need the latest and greatest on ancient hardware.

Stick with Panther. It's a great release of OS X and will be plenty fast and viable for you.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Old G3's just feel so much faster with OS 9. Stick with a lean OS 9 system to keep it fast and stable.

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
Forget Jaguar; Panther and Tiger roar on G3!

I have Tiger running on the following:

400 Mhz Pismo with 512MB RAM and a 7500 RPM HD
400 Mhz iMac DV with 320MB RAM and 7500 RPM HD
233 Mhz iMac Bondi with 384MB RAM and 7500 RPM HD

I would not consider Jaguar on any of these machines because Panther is
astonishingly faster. That is no joke. I didn't notice Tiger being any slower.
While I could max the RAM on the iMac DV and the Pismo to 1 GB,
it wasn't cost-effective to do for the workload of these machines.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I can't believe you're not pulling out your hair with Tiger on G3s and only 300ishMB of RAM! Kudos to your sense of willpower! :)

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
I stopped at Panther 10.3.9 on my pismo. I may just skip over Tiger completely and mess with Leopard and the MBP when all the Pro Apps align with Jupiter and Mars. Widgets aren't my thing and Cmd+F is fine with me.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Panther. Jag. would be slow imo on the machine. It was slow on the G5's at my old school before we got Panthar installed. Wham! much faster with Panthar.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Panther definitely. It's very usable on a 400MHz G3. I used to run it on my iMac G3 with 768MB RAM. Very nice.

Tiger however....well, it was okay if I was only doing one thing at a time. It's too G4/G5 optimised for the older models IMO.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I've seen Tiger run very well on a 400MHz PowerBook G3 (Pismo) with 512 MB RAM, just as long as you don't go overboard with widgets and try to run too many apps simultaneously... Tiger even ran fairly well on a Pismo with just 320 MB RAM, but that did lag a bit. If you give it enough RAM Tiger will run better than Panther on most set-ups that allow it, IMO...

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
dextertangocci said:
Doesn't OSX generally get faster with each new release?

Not Tiger, as far as I've noticed. On my Powerbook Ti it felt slower, so I went back to Panther. But I won't be using too many widgets or running too many apps on this here (basically just word processing, internet, and email), so I'm giving it some thought. Tiger was the first iteration of OS X that also wouldn't natively run on the later G3's, so it may cause the Lombard to take a speed hit. Not sure though, which is why I've started this thread!

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
dextertangocci said:
Doesn't OSX generally get faster with each new release?

There is a point of diminishing return baseed on what kind of hardware you're putting it on. For example, Windows XP on a P3 would be (i think) much SLOWER than Windows 98 on the same hardware.

The overhead is just too intense.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Well, I guess the majority has voted for Panther, and though Tiger came in really close, the most persuasive arguments were for Panther. I'm going to go with Panther, then!

Thanks for all your input!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.