Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulFXH

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
I use two computers here:
One is a 6 y-o Dell desktop with a 6 y-o PS2 2-button roller-ball mouse that works really great (in Linux easy to simulate a third button)
The other is a 6-month old MacBook (C2D, 2.16 GHz) with a Mighty Mouse that cost me €65 and its performance is, well, crap.
It seems to have a mind of its own and needs quite a lot of persuasion to go where I want it to go. It's hard to describe exactly what the problem is but if you can imagine pushing a large round stone up a hill, it's a bit like that. Gravity doesn't want the stone to go where you want it to.
I've messed around with System Preferences but although I managed to get just a little improvement, it doesn't even come close to matching the performance of my 6 y-o Logitech roller-ball mouse.
I have a number of Linux OSes also on the Mac and the mouse is equally crap here.
Is there anything I can do about this?

gtimark

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2005
High Desert, CA
I have not found a Bluetooth mouse that is as precise as even my wireless one on my Dell desktop -- let alone the wired ones. Currently, I'm using Microsoft's Bluetooth series 5000 mouse with my new MacBook and it's even more annoying than the Bluetooth Mighty Mouse I couldn't adapt to. Hmmm. I guess technology needs to catch up to our needs.

No suggestions, but lots of commiseration :)

PaulFXH

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
Thank you. Feel a lot better now:eek:
Notwithstanding your valued commiserations, I'm still not ruling out some more, well, useful suggestions from anybody else.

iJimmy

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
i just ordered a logitech v470 bluetooth mouse. i'll report back and give a review.

PaulFXH

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
Just for clarification, my Mighty Mouse is a USB mouse -- nothing to do with bluetooth.
Can I assume that mice like mine are normally very well-behaved?
Or is there anybody has similar problems?

MasterMacBook

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
Austarlia, W.A
yay first post
xD

well i just got a new macbook :D(my signiture) and a new mightymouse wired.
its been fine for the last 3and a bit months.
but this arvo i just noticed that the ball moves upwards, but does not "scroll" any page and does not make a tiny sound like it normally does.
it goes down, left, right, diagonlly. but no UP!!
im very angry:mad:

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
The mighty Mouses are renowned for being a little bit poo. I don't have any real problems with mine, but it isn't the greatest mouse. (it looks great though)

1) my mouse went really slow just yesteday by chance, it's the bluetooth one so not the same i know, but i switched it off and on, and it worked great again. have you tried unplugging/ replugging it in it to see if this helps?

2) if your track ball is sticky...hold the ball against your desk, chest etc and rub the mouse around pretty hard. Sometimes dirt can get clogged up, and this stops the ball scroll working.

Don't do it so hard that your mouse breaks, but you know what i mean. That works for me anyway!!

Let us know how the problems go?! :D

PaulFXH

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
The mighty Mouses are renowned for being a little bit poo. I don't have any real problems with mine, but it isn't the greatest mouse. (it looks great though)
Yes, thanks, it does look great and I do spend a lot of time just looking at it. Well worth the €65 just for that :)

have you tried unplugging/ replugging it in it to see if this helps?
Yes, you name it, I've tried it.

if your track ball is sticky...hold the ball against your desk, chest etc and rub the mouse around pretty hard. Sometimes dirt can get clogged up, and this stops the ball scroll working.
Actually, no problem at all with the scroll ball -- works fine

The only problem is that the cursor just doesn't move with the same facility as I get on any of the other 5 mice (on different computers) we have here. Incidentally, none of these others cost even half what I paid for the MM. Now, it's far from being unusable but it just doesn't seem to reflect the type of quality product I would have expected from Apple.
Also, the mouse is clean so I don't believe that's the problem.
I also don't believe it's a driver problem as the different mouse drivers in the Linux OSes I have on the Mac behave equally poorly.

OK, so maybe it's time to change mouse and keep the MM just to look at. Is there a type of mouse that works well with a MacBook?

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
Yes, thanks, it does look great and I do spend a lot of time just looking at it. Well worth the €65 just for that :)

Yes, you name it, I've tried it.

Actually, no problem at all with the scroll ball -- works fine

The only problem is that the cursor just doesn't move with the same facility as I get on any of the other 5 mice (on different computers) we have here. Incidentally, none of these others cost even half what I paid for the MM. Now, it's far from being unusable but it just doesn't seem to reflect the type of quality product I would have expected from Apple.
Also, the mouse is clean so I don't believe that's the problem.
I also don't believe it's a driver problem as the different mouse drivers in the Linux OSes I have on the Mac behave equally poorly.

OK, so maybe it's time to change mouse and keep the MM just to look at. Is there a type of mouse that works well with a MacBook?

OK, have you tried altering the speed at which the mouse pointer moves around the screen? It's in system preferences - keyboard&mouse - mouse

I have mine set to one blip from maximum tracking speed. I always find that apple products track really slow for my liking!

I find that when i set my tracking speed to slowest it feels like you described, pushing a boulder up a hill, and it seems a little erratic too.

If you have already tried this, and still no luck then sorry i'm out of help :D

As for a replacement, plenty of other people on here should be able to help you,i've only used the MM on my Apple products as i've never needed a replacement YET, haha!

and glad you got it working MasterMacBook :)

PaulFXH

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
OK, have you tried altering the speed at which the mouse pointer moves around the screen? It's in system preferences - keyboard&mouse - mouse

I have mine set to one blip from maximum tracking speed. I always find that apple products track really slow for my liking!
Yes, I had already tested at various tracking speeds and have selected the exact setting you use. Better, yes but far from what I want.
Actually, since my last post I borrowed a simple/cheap 3-button roller-ball Dell/Logitech usb mouse from another computer and this is so much better than the MM.
So, I think a new mouse is on the cards (instead of an easter egg):)
Anyway, thanks a lot for your help and suggestions.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
The scroll balls on Mighty Mice (plural?) are notorious for getting gunked up with the natural oils from your fingers, and sweat too. You have to try and keep it clean with alcohol.

I would not recommend opening it up to clean it. I did that. The mouse is sealed with industrial glue. Once you break the seal, it is never the same. (Like an iPod) I had to super glue it back together. Although I got it nice and clean inside, the top was never glued to the bottom as well as it was when it was new. Then one of my kids dropped it and it smashed into 7 pieces, ripping the cable that connects the top to the bottom in half. Unfixable. Needless to say, I was out $70.

So people, keep your balls clean. And make sure your hands are clean before you touch your balls.

PaulFXH

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
OK, I fixed the problem but I'm embarrassed to tell you how.:eek:
Nevertheless, perhaps it'll help somebody else.
The secret is NEVER use an optical mouse on a mouse pad particularly if it's surface is shiny/reflective.
Using the bare desk now and life is perfect:)

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
OK, I fixed the problem but I'm embarrassed to tell you how.:eek:
Nevertheless, perhaps it'll help somebody else.
The secret is NEVER use an optical mouse on a mouse pad particularly if it's surface is shiny/reflective.
Using the bare desk now and life is perfect:)

Or try something dark, black mouse pads work great with optical mouses. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.