Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mpdre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2021
Just had a chat with the support about my 65 euro laether case. The paint goes off really fast but they said its regular damage and not covered? My upinion is different, but this is how they deal with the situation? I made a case for this issue because i never have this kind of problems with apple products but this case is one of the worst i ever had. Next week they will call me with an answer we will see. And yes its original bought at the apple store. What if i bought a leather jacket that peels of after 3 months ? I hope they understand and refund or send a new one? TBC
47769A50-91E2-4E31-8AFB-BCFD100CC006.jpeg
9EBC43D8-A9C7-4CE3-BA8E-38C46C6DC67F.jpeg

Attachments

• DC77DB20-9D5B-46EE-934D-A00F016CE15B.jpeg
    DC77DB20-9D5B-46EE-934D-A00F016CE15B.jpeg
    334.5 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Unfortunately the quality of Apple’s leather products has significantly declined in the last ten years.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don’t think the quality of any of Apple’s cases is that good to be honest. There’s so many better cases out there and a lot cheaper, but people are drawn to these because they have that Apple logo on the back I think.

Mpdre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2021
I don’t think the quality of any of Apple’s cases is that good to be honest. There’s so many better cases out there and a lot cheaper, but people are drawn to these because they have that Apple logo on the back I think.
I understand what you mean but i use apple stuff already for almost 40 years and never had this expierence before. And if there was a problem it was always in a friendly way solved by apple. But this time the product is not the same as what apple provide normally. I think this will never happend with steve on board. And off corse a product can sometimes fail but saying by the support that this is normal wear is not correct. Thats why i post it here to make people aware of this poor quality for a high price i expect quality.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I understand what you mean but i use apple stuff already for almost 40 years and never had this expierence before. And if there was a problem it was always in a friendly way solved by apple. But this time the product is not the same as what apple provide normally. I think this will never happend with steve on board. And off corse a product can sometimes fail but saying by the support that this is normal wear is not correct. Thats why i post it here to make people aware of this poor quality for a high price i expect quality.

I’ve known threads like this appear every year and it shouldn’t be the case (excuse the pun) when these cases cost £50+ each. I think many do forget that Apple didn’t just suddenly start having QC issues once Steve Job died and this is something all companies experience and always have. I just think there are much better alternatives when it comes to cases from other companies.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
The problem here is that the few cases where people get bad Apples (pun absolutely intended) it’s magnified because they come here and post pictures screaming about how their quality is s*** and that’s totally justified in cases (again, intended) where Apple refuses to do something about it. I’ve seen plenty of Apple leather cases that don’t have this issue and they look great.

It also needs to be said that a lot of folks are trying to assign personality to their cases with chemicals, abrasives and other tinctures and concoctions that aren’t meant for leather. That’s not patina, that’s modification and yeah a lot of them look horrible.

Thanks for coming to my punny TED talk.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
After 3 months? Are you working for apple ?
It's not like the blue coloring is natural to the leather. It is going to show that kind of what after coming in constant contact with oils from your fingers, air temp and moisture, as well as sliding in and out of the pocket several times a day. The colored cases show wear much more easily than the brown and black cases.

I see no reason for Apple to replace or refund.

Vangeli

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
I’ve been buying Apple’s leather cases for years, since the first ones with the iPhone 5/5s/SE, whichever it was. Sometimes the leather is of good quality and lasts years, sometimes it’s softer and while that feels premium it’ll actually fall apart quickly. It isn’t tied to phone model or generation, the quality can change between two cases for the same phone. It is what it is and is likely all up to the source of leather and out of their control.

That said, I’m pretty sure Apple will replace a worn case for any reason if it’s within the year long warranty period. Also, I’d avoid any colored leathers if you’re against leather patina; it’s essentially invisible on black leather, or if you don’t mind the case eventually being a natural dark brown leather, go for saddle brown. Pretty much all of their other current colors don’t wear down well and eventually wear to black. The new dark purple might be good but I have a Pro Max so I’ll never know.

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2020
I bought 3 leather and 2 silicone Apple cases for 5 iPhone 12 minis and can confirm they have all started to fall apart within 2 months. The silicone starts to break off little chunks at the opening sides while the leather gets very discolored dirty and the leather rubs off on the corners. The only leather case I can live with is the black since it does rub off but you can't see it until you look close. I did order another one in black because Best Buy had it for $24 sale so that I can replace mine once it goes to crap. I use the wallet and like the feel and wallet stickiness of the case. The silicon cases are bad for the wallet as they don't stick well and ive done several tests.

I called apple to complain about the California poppy leather case degrading at corners and they let me send it back for a refund even though 2 months have passed. I then went ot apple store to show then the silicon case flaking off and they said to call apple support for better service since they can only replace it under warranty if the inner part of case is falling apart instead of the edges as edges may be physical damage. Upon further questioning of Apple employee, he sort of smirked and said its common for people to complain about these new cases so I doubt this is a minimal issue. Seems to be a wide scale poor quality issue.

If anyone can confirm they have used a 'real' quality leather case with Apple wallet and it sticks just as well as the Apple leather case, please share the brand. I feel uncomfortable giving Apple anymore money knowing they know the issues but remain silent. I like their products and want to buy more future stuff but feel guilty and uncomfortable with this company. Its not jsut the cases. Its also other recent items with large scale issues like the 16 inch MBP I bought and Apple acts as if they never heard of anyone complaining about these issues while there are thousands of forum complaints about the same things. There is also forcing products to be obsolete with software updates and their commitment to filling landfills while preaching something else. Excuse my rant.

CouldBeWorse

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2011
I bought 3 leather and 2 silicone Apple cases for 5 iPhone 12 minis and can confirm they have all started to fall apart within 2 months. The silicone starts to break off little chunks at the opening sides while the leather gets very discolored dirty and the leather rubs off on the corners. The only leather case I can live with is the black since it does rub off but you can't see it until you look close. I did order another one in black because Best Buy had it for $24 sale so that I can replace mine once it goes to crap. I use the wallet and like the feel and wallet stickiness of the case. The silicon cases are bad for the wallet as they don't stick well and ive done several tests.

I called apple to complain about the California poppy leather case degrading at corners and they let me send it back for a refund even though 2 months have passed. I then went ot apple store to show then the silicon case flaking off and they said to call apple support for better service since they can only replace it under warranty if the inner part of case is falling apart instead of the edges as edges may be physical damage. Upon further questioning of Apple employee, he sort of smirked and said its common for people to complain about these new cases so I doubt this is a minimal issue. Seems to be a wide scale poor quality issue.

If anyone can confirm they have used a 'real' quality leather case with Apple wallet and it sticks just as well as the Apple leather case, please share the brand. I feel uncomfortable giving Apple anymore money knowing they know the issues but remain silent. I like their products and want to buy more future stuff but feel guilty and uncomfortable with this company. Its not jsut the cases. Its also other recent items with large scale issues like the 16 inch MBP I bought and Apple acts as if they never heard of anyone complaining about these issues while there are thousands of forum complaints about the same things. There is also forcing products to be obsolete with software updates and their commitment to filling landfills while preaching something else. Excuse my rant.
I have had issues with two different Apple leather MagSafe cases - one that I purchased and one that Apple sent has a replacement. I am now considering Nomad's MagSafe leather case but I am having trouble finding reviews of it.

jediistar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
I have had issues with two different Apple leather MagSafe cases - one that I purchased and one that Apple sent has a replacement. I am now considering Nomad's MagSafe leather case but I am having trouble finding reviews of it.
Try YouTube, there's a whole bunch of video reviews.

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2020
I will add that a family member bought a $5 silicon case off Amazon and that one holds better than Apple's $50 silicon case. Apple is making 99% profit margins on these cases it seems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.