Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

safetyfirst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2021
Hello All,

Long time reader here and a first-time poster. Thanks so much for all the good discussions that I was able to follow over the years.

Now I have a question where I didn't find the answer to. I have a MacPro 7,1 running Catalina and have to stay there for a little longer due to an Audio Project I have to finish before updating.

Safari is so slow with some websites it is almost unbearable; most of the time, I have to switch to Firefox. Is this an issue with Catalina on the MP or because the hardware is so old? Is somebody else experiencing the problem?

I just got a new MacBook Pro M1, and it is crazy how fast Safari is compared to the Mac Pro.

So I'm wondering if performance will improve upon updating to Monterey; anybody has had better performance in Safari and in general after updating to the newest version of macOS?

Thank you in advance, and thanks for reading!
SF

-
16C MP 7,1 with 96 GB Ram, 2TB Drive, W5700X

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Hello All,

Long time reader here and a first-time poster. Thanks so much for all the good discussions that I was able to follow over the years.

Now I have a question where I didn't find the answer to. I have a MacPro 7,1 running Catalina and have to stay there for a little longer due to an Audio Project I have to finish before updating.

Safari is so slow with some websites it is almost unbearable; most of the time, I have to switch to Firefox. Is this an issue with Catalina on the MP or because the hardware is so old? Is somebody else experiencing the problem?

I just got a new MacBook Pro M1, and it is crazy how fast Safari is compared to the Mac Pro.

So I'm wondering if performance will improve upon updating to Monterey; anybody has had better performance in Safari and in general after updating to the newest version of macOS?

Thank you in advance, and thanks for reading!
SF

-
16C MP 7,1 with 96 GB Ram, 2TB Drive, W5700X
I used primarily the 2x X5690 3.46ghz Mac Pro in my signature and Safari in Monterey (12.1 beta 4) is really quick. It is faster than Firefox, but majority of the time I use Firefox due to the useful addons it has.

My 5,1 was already old before your 7,1 was even built. ;)

safetyfirst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2021
I used primarily the 2x X5690 3.46ghz Mac Pro in my signature and Safari in Monterey (12.1 beta 4) is really quick. It is faster than Firefox, but majority of the time I use Firefox due to the useful addons it has.

My 5,1 was already old before your 7,1 was even built. ;)
Haha! We'll that gives me hope that something else is up ;)

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Haha! We'll that gives me hope that something else is up ;)
I was fortunate that when I upgraded that old machine I effectively started new. New disk drives, new GPU, new (but old processors) and fresh new install operating system. That probably helps.

I’m pretty fortunate that it runs very fast for what I do.

safetyfirst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2021
The weirdest thing ever, I just changed display from LG to Apple and now everything runs buttery smooth again. Not sure how this can be but great that the performance is back to normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.