Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreppMichaels

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Hi All,

I recently acquired a 7,1 for a steal (thank you Apple Silicon!) and upgraded its existing 12 core Xeon to the 28 core w-3275, and everything seems to be running splendidly in Monterey, however in Windows 10 I am getting poor single core scores on the Xeon in Geekbench 5. Prior to the upgrade I was getting 1064 on my 12 core, this was on a non-bootcamp windows install with bootcamp drivers.

After upgrading I am getting scores in the range of 850-905 on the 28 core in Windows 10 and multi core in the mid 18500s, and in the range of 1175-1200 in Monterey with Multi Core scores from 18800-19610. I've fiddled with power management settings, ran intel power gadget, cpuz ID, the intel CPU verification tool, and adjusted various fan curves in Macs Fan Control along with doing a complete a total fresh install of Windows 10 via bootcamp and can't seem to get my single core score up, nor does the CPU seem to ever go above 3.2 ghz in Windows 10 regardless of the load. I've ran Geekbench countless times to test if this is a thermal issue, and the scores are consistent regardless of the load prior.

I understand this CPU isn't a single core beast, however I'm pretty stumped as to what's going on, unless there is some sort of Xeon Turbo Boost lock due to Mac OS (which wouldn't make sense given my 12 core worked fine) or maybe its related to the processor itself. This was from China and listed as a qs model, but why would my scores be actually better than expected in Mac OS? All the rest of my research about the revision version and specific details of this processor say it's legit, and again it runs flawlessly on Monterey, and my Multi Core scores are good.

I've tried about everything guys, and am running out of ideas. Any suggestions? Is this a known Windows issue for higher core Xeons, do I have a dud of a CPU? Is there something missing in my Windows install power management or Xeon wise? Thanks in advance!

2019 Mac pro 7,1 28 Core W-3275 64 GB DDR4 4TB W5700x Monterey 12.3 Windows 10 Latest update as of 6/2/2022

15280696Apple Inc. MacPro7,1 Intel Xeon W-3275 2491 MHz (28 cores)Windows 64x86_6486618621
15280626MacPro7,1 Intel Xeon W-3275 2500 MHz (28 cores)macOS 64x86_64119919619

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Xeon is more of a server based processor so multi core is where it shines and regardless of how many cores you have the single core won’t change much unless clock speeds are significantly higher or the cpu is more efficient. Additionally, you could have bottle necks in other areas. Running Bootcamp might appear to be native when it comes to x86 but Mac systems are incredibly less efficient running Bootcamp causing higher temps resulting it fans being on more frequently and generally more resource utilization all around resulting in vastly reduced performance. Lastly, Bootcamp was helped along with Microsoft and since they no longer support Bootcamp W10 probably isn’t optimized.

If you were concerned enough about single core performance to write this lengthy post then you’ve sadly went down the wrong path.

GreppMichaels

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Xeon is more of a server based processor so multi core is where it shines and regardless of how many cores you have the single core won’t change much unless clock speeds are significantly higher or the cpu is more efficient. Additionally, you could have bottle necks in other areas. Running Bootcamp might appear to be native when it comes to x86 but Mac systems are incredibly less efficient running Bootcamp causing higher temps resulting it fans being on more frequently and generally more resource utilization all around resulting in vastly reduced performance. Lastly, Bootcamp was helped along with Microsoft and since they no longer support Bootcamp W10 probably isn’t optimized.

If you were concerned enough about single core performance to write this lengthy post then you’ve sadly went down the wrong path.
My apologies if I wasn't clear enough here but this processor is significantly under-performing every other w-3275 on Geekbench 5 in single core on Windows. I'm not concerned about single core performance, I'm concerned about why this processor is significantly under-performing. I'm very aware of the shortcomings and strengths of the Xeon, this would probably be my 5th or 6th Mac Pro that I've worked on, so I'm not trying to game on this thing at 240hz or something.

I'm not thermally throttled here, I'm not sure if you read the part where I referenced using macs fan control and keeping the xeon super cool, and my 12 core Xeon had on par single core scores, but for some reason this processor appears to be stuck at 3.2ghz and is having specific issues UNIQUE TO MY CPU, not Xeon's in general, not W-3275's, but SOMETHING is wrong with this specific processor. I think a lot of your feedback is only relevant to people running into thermal issues on i9 Macbook's under bootcamp and all the workarounds. Which I'm very aware of, I have an i9 with the VRM mod to turn the bottom into a heatsink and push it further in high workloads. This isn't my first rodeo here.

I ran this CPU on a Native windows install, as well as a bootcamp install, and had the same symptoms. My 12 core DID NOT experience these symptons on either installs and had as expected performance in single and multi core.

I did not have these issues on the 12 core Xeon, again my specific W-3275 is underperforming in relation to every other W-3275 out there, this is a unique issue either to some strange configuration, or a flaw in the CPU.

It is effectively locked at 3.2ghz under all conditions.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.