Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bambrick72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2022
Hello Guys
I own an IPad Air Generation 4
I have the UsbC cable to HDMI but want to purchase a portable monitor that I can extend my work
Any people have any suggestion and will it allow for me to share and extend my work etc
THANK YOU

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Please note iPadOS doesn't really support extended desktop mode.

Some apps will allow you play previews, etc. on the second display. Unfortunately, for the most part, all you get is mirroring.

Reactions: Digitalguy

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Please note iPadOS doesn't really support extended desktop mode.

Some apps will allow you play previews, etc. on the second display. Unfortunately, for the most part, all you get is mirroring.

I use my iPad mini with an LG UltraFine 21.5 inch. USBC inputs and outputs.

Netflix, Apple TV, VM Ware Horizon and some other apps do full screen but is not extended only mirroring as rui no onna pointed out.

Also, if just plugged in but not using iPad, about every minute the display flashes for some reason. Not sure if iPad or LG UltraFine.

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
I have 2 4K 15.6 and 1 17.3” portable monitor that I purchased from Amazon. They have a wide selection of portable monitors that should/might fall into your price range. I’ve used all three monitors at on point with my Mini 6 and they all work well.

jchurchill

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2021
iPad has terrible support for external monitors. I haven't tried everything, but I believe it is limited to mirroring the screen at its native resolution. If you've got the adapter, just try plugging it into any biggish HDMI monitor. On a widescreen, it will be centered with black borders and scaled up (blurry). If you need it for your eyes then I can see an advantage, but nothing more. I read about a product that allows the ipad screen to expand on a widescreen monitor, but doesn't work with more than a few apps. I think it worked with only an iPad Pro, too.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
iPad has terrible support for external monitors. I haven't tried everything, but I believe it is limited to mirroring the screen at its native resolution. If you've got the adapter, just try plugging it into any biggish HDMI monitor. On a widescreen, it will be centered with black borders and scaled up (blurry). If you need it for your eyes then I can see an advantage, but nothing more. I read about a product that allows the ipad screen to expand on a widescreen monitor, but doesn't work with more than a few apps. I think it worked with only an iPad Pro, too.

You're likely thing of shiftscreen -

https://shiftscreen.app/

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
At this point an external monitor is pointless except for watching videos or remote desktop. I have both shiftscreen and shiftscreen x and honestly it does not make much difference. You cannot use native apps like Safari etc. with it, you have to use their poor browser. And you cannot use the iPad while using it on the monitor.
And a screen with a "suitable" aspect ratio does not make a difference. I have a 3:2 28in monitor and it's terrible with iPad, as iPadOS does not support scaling so everything just looks huge, even without black bars...
iPadOS needs to support some sort desktop mode (extended screen + scaling at least, if not a more desktop like UI, like Samsung DEX) before it can make sense...

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Maybe ultimately they will make use of the upcoming universal control and features in iPadOS 16 to expand this functionality but at the moment external displays are only useful in a limited way with iPadOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.