Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
I need reasonably fast external storage for my Mac Studio and am sort of new to this as before I had all my drives internally in an old Mac Pro (6 drives in total...).

For now I do not want to go with the most expensive options due to budget concerns and I also do not want to "build" it myself (i.e. put an NVMe drive in an enclosure). The reason is simply that I had some bad experiences with drive-enclosure compatibility and reliability issues lately. (My Sabrent enclosure seems to have unpredictable issues with some SSDs.)

So for now, I am looking for a reasonably fast, reasonably affordable pre-build solution.

I started looking at portable SSDs like the Samsung T7 Shield. They seem quite well-liked and rather fast.

But there is one thing that bothers me: These are clearly meant to be portable drives. Having them sit on my desk as permanent desktop storage seems almost "wrong"...

This might be silly, but am I missing something here? Do non-portable external SSDs even really exist?

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Quote "I had some bad experiences with drive-enclosure compatibility and reliability issues lately."

The data transfer technology that Apple has been most involved with in the past decade and a half is Thunderbolt - they were co-inventors with Intel.
So I stick to TB - preferably using devices with Intel chipsets, as that is what Apple would have tested their port compatibility with.
Correspondingly, the choice of SSD is best limited to manufacturers who have a relationship with Apple.

Not some random Chinese manufacturer ;) who will be mostly offering their own variety of USB product with no MacOS compatibility history...

So as a budget choice the USB 3.1/2 Gen2 Samsung T7 is a perfectly satisfactory choice.
But it offers only at best a third the data transfer performance of a Thunderbolt 3 + NVMe SSD.

There are desktop TB3 NVMe storage options from appropriate manufacturers, but you have to buy carefully whilst they are offered at a sale price to get budget pricing.

Reactions: danqi

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
I've a SanDisk Extreme 1tb and a Crucial X6 2tb attached to my Mini and no issues with either. Both are exFat formatted. I did have to reformat the Crucial one before it would mount reliably, but since then it's been perfect.

H_D

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
The Samsung 4TB are USB3, so not hyperfast, but price and mobility is great and even my older T5 still run without problems. Can’t go wrong with those. For TB3, I have had great experiences with the Thunderblade by OWC, 8TB as a RAID of 4 2TB results in good speeds and so far it has run without trouble (external Dropbox and FinalCut). Not as fast as the internal Apple-Disks are, their 6-7K-Transferrates are not achievable with external drives I think.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I have 2 Samsung t7 Shields.
They work very well.
Compact and easily "stack-able".

Good price right now from amazon...

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
Wow they are still expensive when it's up to 8TB or higher. I have old 2016 External HDD and now that I updated to M3 iMac, I wanted to replace these with SSD. Until I saw the prices! LOL Checked Amazon and found this. No idea who they are but wow that price! "VectoTech 8TB External SSD USB-C Portable Solid State Drive". I think I'll wait awhile for the prices to go down.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Wow they are still expensive when it's up to 8TB or higher. I have old 2016 External HDD and now that I updated to M3 iMac, I wanted to replace these with SSD. Until I saw the prices! LOL Checked Amazon and found this. No idea who they are but wow that price! "VectoTech 8TB External SSD USB-C Portable Solid State Drive". I think I'll wait awhile for the prices to go down.
Don't be tempted by the '8TB' size.
The fact that it is cheaper than other makes and an unknown make is asking for trouble.
Did you also notice it says UP TO 540MB/s....

Reactions: kagharaht

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
There are desktop TB3 NVMe storage options from appropriate manufacturers, but you have to buy carefully whilst they are offered at a sale price to get budget pricing.
This is exactly what I did....👆

Was watching Lacie 1 Big SSD Pro on Amazon for about 3 months.
RRP is £1200-1400, I got it for £480.
It's never gone below £900 since....😁

Reactions: PaulD-UK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.