Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themiracle

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2007
Does anyone know if I can port my number after I buy the phone? Apparently my contract expires in about two weeks and I'd rather not pay the ETF, but I'd really like to get an iPhone on the first day. Is it possible to activate an account and then have ATT port the number a little while later?

Detlev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Does anyone know if I can port my number after I buy the phone? Apparently my contract expires in about two weeks and I'd rather not pay the ETF, but I'd really like to get an iPhone on the first day. Is it possible to activate an account and then have ATT port the number a little while later?

Yes, you can port it later. AT&T can provide you with a temporary number until you are ready.

appleii2mac

macrumors regular
May 23, 2007

Yes, a phone # can be ported at any time. I ported mine ~2 months after I got my iPhone last year.

In fact, I doubt your current carrier would charge you an ETF if you ported now, but it's not worth it to tempt fate for 2 weeks. I actually ported my phone # about 3-4 months before my 2 year contract with verizon was up, and wasn't charged an ETF. I just forwarded my old wireless # to my "new" number until I ported it.

TN-3

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Franklin, TN
How did you forward your calls from your old phone # to the new one?
I have a Sprint account thats is not up until December, and the only way I would sign up for the iPhone on another number and wait for my Sprint contract to come up and then port the #, is if I could forward all of my calls to the new iPhone #.

RynoZebz

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Does it cost money or extend your plan when you port a number? My contract is up in August and I kinda wanna get my iPhone on today. lol After I get my number ported I'll also need to add another phone and make it a family plan. You guys think there will be any problems with this?

appleii2mac

macrumors regular
May 23, 2007
How did you forward your calls from your old phone # to the new one?
I have a Sprint account thats is not up until December, and the only way I would sign up for the iPhone on another number and wait for my Sprint contract to come up and then port the #, is if I could forward all of my calls to the new iPhone #.

It was a feature on my previous phone I think. Sprint might offer it as well. But it might use up your minutes or something. Check with your carrier.

appleii2mac

macrumors regular
May 23, 2007
Does it cost money or extend your plan when you port a number? My contract is up in August and I kinda wanna get my iPhone on today. lol After I get my number ported I'll also need to add another phone and make it a family plan. You guys think there will be any problems with this?

It doesn't extend your plan. They may charge a small fee if you port a number after the first 30 days of activating your new service or something. Adding a 2nd phone shouldn't be an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.