Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Can anyone confirm if Portrait Mode is improved with iOS 12? I have found the following:

Improved Portrait Lighting

Portrait mode photos are better than ever. Camera now generates a mask when it detects a person and intelligently and elegantly separates the person from the scene.

Does this only mean Portrait Lighting has got better or is there a noticeable difference to standard Portrait Mode Photos?

Currently using an iPhone 7 Plus and hoping iOS 12 can improve this for me.

Reactions: freezelighter

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Can anyone confirm if Portrait Mode is improved with iOS 12? I have found the following:

Does this only mean Portrait Lighting has got better or is there a noticeable difference to standard Portrait Mode Photos?

Currently using an iPhone 7 Plus and hoping iOS 12 can improve this for me.
I really hope it’s just improved in general. I also wish they’d use .x.x releases to improve it constantly

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
It’s definitely significantly better, with much better edge detection, especially in with the front camera. Edges are sharper and the foreground is also sharper rather than soft like before. Studio lighting also looks better.

victormorenos

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2016
I took 10 pictures of mine and 10/10 looked like portrait mode/lightning ADs.

On iOS 11.4 I would say only 2/10 looked like those ADs...

I would say it really got improved...

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
I have to say - my iPhone X does a much better job at Portrait Lighting on iOS 12. It used to be terrible in situations with multiple faces and the studio light was always far from perfect. I even captured a nice portrait of my cat on a window sill. It used to be really weak while photographing anything other than a face.

victormorenos

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2016
Dude...

Taking portrait mode shots in iOS 12 is as good as they shoot in portrait lightning/mode in TV Ads!!!

It's easy to think they made those Ads using iOS 12 hahaha

Even in sunlight! Direct sunlight!

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Out of interest what phones are everyone using? I’m still using a 7 Plus.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
iPhone X.

I’ve been beyond ecstatic with the improvements to portrait mode. Just had a group gathering a few days ago and every single shot looks gorgeous, enhanced by portrait lighting. Sharp, well defined, natural appearing edges; good retention of detail. Amazing what algorithmic modifications can do.

Reactions: freezelighter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.