Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Hi Guys,

I don't have an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus and have never tested or noticed this, but is it possible to use the iPhone's "portrait mode" / bokeh effect for pictures taken in landscape? Or is it restricted to photos taken in portrait orientation?

Would appreciate if anyone with an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus can test this out for me and report back.

Thanks!

SirGadwall

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2015
PA
The iP7 doesn't have the ability to do portrait mode.

The iP7 Plus can do Portrait mode in either profile or landscape orientation

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
My wife and I both had the 6 Plus, replaced her phone with a 7 Plus about two months ago and I'm getting the 8 Plus on Friday. Anyway, the camera improvements and portrait mode are the things I'm looking forward to most. We used to joke about how terrible her pictures turned out but since she's gotten the 7 Plus she's taken some really nice pictures. Just wanted to say I highly recommend it!

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
1FABFEB1-238F-4E0A-B61B-8029CF47B4B2.jpeg
Yeah the camera upgrade on the 7 Plus made it worth it for me to move up from a 6S Plus last year. I do photography as a hobby and have been surprised with some of the shots I have been able to get with just a smartphone camera. This isn’t the greatest shot but as an example of Portait Mode (pre-iOS 11 camera updates to Portait Mode-my wife and youngest daughter, who kept moving!). I can attest that the ability to shoot Portait Mode with flash and HDR in iOS 11 makes a really nice imporement. Previously low light performance was holding back Portait Mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.