Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mattyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
May of been discussed before. But taking portrait pics on iPhone 13 Pro and on iOS 17 I can no longer edit them in the macOS photos app.

Previously I could. No setup change except ios17 upgrade. Could this be the issue? I now notice that any portrait pic I can revert to original. And then go back into the photo and edit like it’s a portrait picture.

Has anybody else seen this?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
OP, here are instructions for editing Portrait photos on your devices. On the Mac, the first screen you see after clicking Edit is the portrait editor. You can change the focus point by clicking or the lighting using buttons at the bottom of the photo.

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 6.28.18 AM.png

Mattyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
so - here is what I see pre ios17 update vs post iOS 17 update. Pre works fine - I have portrait mode easily adjustable.
Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 21.12.35.png

the second pic is what I see post iOS 17 - no portrait mode to adjust and a revert setting even though its not been edited. Once I click that, I get the original image without the defocus but when I go back into the image I get portrait options to edit.

Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 21.13.41.png

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
That's weird. I can understand why you don't get the controls because the lack of a Portrait indicator means the photo isn't recognized as portrait. I'm going to guess that something changed in the way portrait photos are made in iOS 17 that makes them incompatible with Ventura. I don't think I realized this was posted in the Ventura forum. My screenshot is from Photos in Sonoma.

Mattyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
That's weird. I can understand why you don't get the controls because the lack of a Portrait indicator means the photo isn't recognized as portrait. I'm going to guess that something changed in the way portrait photos are made in iOS 17 that makes them incompatible with Ventura. I don't think I realized this was posted in the Ventura forum. My screenshot is from Photos in Sonoma.
What is weird is that mac does recognise it as portrait as in the thumbnail it has the icon and in the portrait filter. As I said, if I revert and then go back it’s editable like a portrait pic so it has all the depth mapping.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I see. If they can be reverted, that would imply some edits were previously made. But your saying they weren’t edited?

Mattyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
I see. If they can be reverted, that would imply some edits were previously made. But your saying they weren’t edited?
Correct. iPhone photo taken in portrait mode. uploaded to Mac and click edit shows the revert to original button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.