Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
I still find it very hit and miss, here's a few of the better ones it has produced, all taken the other morning at a friends place. I won't go on for too long about how disappointed I am with its inability to get consistently clean edges. The two things I have found that assist it in getting better results are, good light and a high contrast background.

IMG_1210.jpg
IMG_1214.jpg
IMG_1220.jpg
IMG_1224.jpg

Reactions: akash.nu

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I agree. It’s not good always but where it works it does make a huge difference. The pixel 2 is much better at this specific feature. Hope the upcoming iOS versions improve on this.

vtboyarc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2011
deleted
[doublepost=1515173297][/doublepost]
I still find it very hit and miss, here's a few of the better ones it has produced, all taken the other morning at a friends place. I won't go on for too long about how disappointed I am with its inability to get consistently clean edges. The two things I have found that assist it in getting better results are, good light and a high contrast background.

View attachment 745276 View attachment 745277 View attachment 745278 View attachment 745279

Amazing shots! I am curious, for the close up ones, such as the flower, how do you get that to work in portrait lighting mode? I've tried many times, but it always tells me to move farther away!

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
When it works well, it works very well indeed. When it’s bad. It’s absolutely horrid.
Absolutely! o_O

they all look fine to me. course i just look at the pic as a whole. i don't pixel peep
I gave up pixel peeping any photo's taken with a mobile phone years ago. There's just no comparison to the definition available from a cameras sensor.

I agree. It’s not good always but where it works it does make a huge difference. The pixel 2 is much better at this specific feature. Hope the upcoming iOS versions improve on this.
Fingers crossed, they do evolve the masking software, eventually.

Amazing shots! I am curious, for the close up ones, such as the flower, how do you get that to work in portrait lighting mode? I've tried many times, but it always tells me to move farther away!
Thanks, and flowers are easy, just go with HUGE ones! :eek::D

Actually, you can get it to work with smaller, normal sized ones, but you have to back away and come closer many times and be ready to take the shot when the yellow circle appears momentarily! It takes a bit of trial and error, and lots of perseverance I'm afraid.

Reactions: vtboyarc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.