Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
So I took some portrait pictures on my iPhone 13 pro. I check the pictures on the Photos app on my Mac and for some reason when I click on the edit button, there is no option to adjust the Portrait mode. The pic is clearly tagged as portrait mode according to Photos.

I checked my older Portrait photos taken with my iPhone 11 Pro and the option to adjust the portrait mode is there. If I edit in my iPhone 13 Pro, the portrait mode is available for adjusting. It's just on my Photos app on my Mac that I'm not able to edit. It's probably just a bug. But anyone else is experiencing this?

chucker17

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2021
Same problem here on a normal, non-pro 13.
Portrait editing is fine on phone or iPad, but on my Mac and MacBook, there is no option to alter the depth of field at all.

Good to know it's not just me, so I assume this will be fixed quickly.

Reactions: edtorious

lisainIL

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2021
Same problem here on an iPhone 13 Pro.
One other thing I also noticed is if you edit an imported portrait mode photo (i.e. crop it or something), it then loses the portrait designation. It still looks like a portrait mode photo, it just loses the portrait indicator.

Have you reported this? If so where, and I can plus one it or report it too.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I don't have much to add to this one other than to say that I can't edit portrait settings on my M1 MacBook Air for pictures taken with my iPhone 13 Pro. Weird glitch and I'll report it to Apple.

chucker17

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2021
Looks like this is resolved in Monterey - all the pics that didn't have the depth setting in photos now have it there in the edit page.

dxmac99

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
This problem sees to be in BigSur only. Too bad some older macs are still using big sur and cannot upgrade. I have photos i imported before the bigsur and the photos app behaves ok. but new imports from iphone11 shows two (non portraits version and portraits version), from iphone13 shows the portraits version. Neither imports is able to enable the portrait adjustment in photos.

I am not sure how they screw up this one and i guess they will not fix it.

rswc90

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
US
I have taken pictures with portrait mode. They show on my iPhone 13 as black background (true portrait) saved as heic, but when saved on my Mac ( OS Monterey) and converted to jpg automatically, the portrait mode is indicated in words in the top left corner of the photo, but the entire picture shows -- no black background. When I click "edit" on the mac, nothing changes. It sure loses it's pop without the portrait mode! I am new to all this so it might be user error! UPDATE: I just copied the portrait photos via cable and the black background was visible because it transferred it as HEIC rather than JPG (I am guessing). Very strange!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.