Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

primekazan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
Recently I've got mine 12 Pro Max and was testing some camera capabilities. Photos were taken at night with low light but they look like a total mess when trying to make a portrait mode on 1x. 2.5x is looking perfect. Example photos below. I was testing this with some better light (also indoors) and with more complex objects but it gets even worse than that - the photo is blurred randomly with some spots leaved unblurred and some blurred (the photo with chair).
Anyone have similar issue?

Attachments

• IMG_3419.jpg
    IMG_3419.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_3420.jpg
    IMG_3420.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3425.jpg
    IMG_3425.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 69

primekazan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
Yeah, yet it still does the same with people on photos. I used chair as an example of what is happening.

primekazan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
On portrait mode on 1x zoom with interior light (wasn’t checking yet if the issue occurs outside with good light) it is blurring without logic - the backround i blurred partially alongside with front object being blurred as well in some spots. There is no pattern to it. Looks like camera or lidar does not recognize what is in front and what in back of the photo.

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
This is an issue Portrait Mode has had for years.

Small objects get blurred out or disappear altogether - ears get blurred, hair goes weird looking as there's no specific hard focus point. Its the difference between a true portrait effect using an optical lens with manual focus vs a digital effect overlaid on a photo using a couple of lenses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.