Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
I am posting this review here because there are lots of reviews online for the Elgato CamLink 4k but not the BlackMagic UltraStudio Recorder 3G.

ultrastudio-recorder-3g-xl.jpg

I previously used the Camlink 4K with my 2015 MBP.
  • It worked fine.
  • The only problem was the CPU/fans/heat on the MBP would go through the roof and could spoil recordings, meetings or streams.
  • There were no compatibility issues as the CamLink presents itself as a USB Video Class (UVC) device so no drivers are needed, and any software can pick up the video source.

However, replacing my 2015 MBP with a 2021 MBP M1 means no more USB-A sized ports. I also wanted to have a Thunderbolt dock with only 1 cable between the laptop and the dock (for charging, display and all peripherals).

The CamLink does plug into the Caldigit TS4 dock, and all applications pick up the video source - however within about 5 seconds the video freezes. This happens with all the apps I tried, Zoom, Teams, Apple's Photo Booth, and web based video conferencing too, incl Google Meet. Elgato weren't helpful, as usual blaming the bandwidth to the laptop.

So I sold the CamLink and got a BlackMagic UlstraStudio Recorder 3G. BlackMagic aren't that well known and it is hard to find their hardware on sale in the usual outlets, but they do target the professional market. They make seriously expensive video/audio hardware and also the popular DavVinci Resolve video editor. The Recorder 3G is small and pocket sized, made of metal not plastic, and has 2 inputs (HDMI and SDI) and the output is not USB, it is Thunderbolt 3/4 .. USB-C won't work even if the connector is the same shape.
  • It works! No freezing.
  • It does need drivers to be installed. Their website is terrible for finding the right software for a device.
  • I understand from experts that it sends uncompressed and mildly encoded data to the laptop - which is better because with the CamLink there is a process of encode/decode/recode. I'm happy to be corrected on this.
  • There is no heat or high fans, and I haven't checked the CPU because everything seems smooth. Even after hours it is fine.
  • Initially there was some funniness with distorted video, but it has never occurred again.
  • I am connecting as follows: camera HDMI -> Recorder 3g -> TB4 Dock -> MBP M1 over the same single cable.

For some reason the BlackMagic devices don't get reviewed. The price is only a small amount more than the consumer gadgets like the Avermedia and Elgato.

More info: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/ultrastudio/techspecs/W-DLUS-12

ultrastudio-recorder-3g@2x.png

Last edited:

Djrightonbeat

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2021
Elgato has admitted to the problem with Cam Link compatibility with T4 Docks connected to T4 Macs with M1.
They finally updated the Camera Hub app with a hack that you can change the Cam Link device to Isochronous.... this will make the Cam Link keep connection to the T4 Dock...... But... BUT.... it will only keep connection to ONE Cam Link not 2 or more... so there is still an issue with playing nice with T4 docks.

T3 dock seem to work with Cam links.

Djrightonbeat

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2021
Can you connect more than one to your dock?
I read some of reviews on Amazon of people not getting it to work?

Where is the exact link to the driver software?

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
Can you connect more than one to your dock?
I read some of reviews on Amazon of people not getting it to work?

Where is the exact link to the driver software?

The drivers are included as part of the "Desktop Video" software. I know, it's really not clear and their website is terrible at answering the question "where is the driver for device X".

I don't have more than one so don' know if you more than one will work. Best to contact BM to see if that is supported.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.