Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2021
A small island near Europe
Hi! Just a couple of ideas, I wonder if like me, other Mac users of a certain age who grew up in the early era of personal computing, back to the old 8 bit systems, then 16 bit, and games consoles like the Sega And Nintendos, would there be enough interest for a category on retro computing? I still regularly play games from the old NES, MegaDrive, and Super Nintendo. Not only is it nostalgic but I find modern games require too much time, I can have a ten minute game of super Mario and not have to spend hours making progress like the modern games. I do own the original cartridges and tapes and discs so as far as I’m aware it should all be legal. I’m using Open Emu on my Mac to play the ROMs.

Also, would there be any interest in a forum category to discuss religions? I am a baptised Christian, but please don’t jump to conclusions I am a very liberally minded person. I find such joy and hope in my faith, but I am not bigoted. It would be nice to have an open and mature discussion about faith. I would be very interested in learning about other peoples experiences of their faith system, what they believe, how they find value in it. I would enjoy it. I am both baptised in the Church of England, but I’m also a minister of the Universal Life Church. I have previously experimented with Buddhism, and there is much to value from it and I still use some things I learnt from it now, especially the lightweight approach of Chan/Zen.

Just a couple of ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: turbineseaplane

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Well perhaps I was naive to expect people to be reasonable adults? Not criticising your perspective, unfortunately some religious people are zealots. I am not one. I find great value in faith systems.

It's not my perspective, I too wish people could/would act like adults but....

Anyway, MacRumors made the decision to shutdown their PRSI section:

As much as I lamented this at the time I think this community is far better off. There are other, better, places to discuss such topics.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

There is a console games section where your Nintendo and NES discussion would fit.

As to the religious discussion section, that one is going to be a non-starter since we have a rule that restricts all discussion of politics, religion, and social issues to the existing Political News forum.

As @icanhazmac mentioned, the previous PRSI forum was closed.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just spotted this thread, and am posting merely to echo what both @icanhazmac and @Weaselboy have already said: Namely, there used to be a sub-forum here on MR where one was allowed to discuss subject matters such as politics, religion, and social issues, which went by the name of PRSI.

However, a few years ago a decision was taken by the staff and owner to close this section of the forum.

In common with @icanhazmac, I regretted this at the time, (and said as much, quite passionately, when it was discussed in the forum), but I have since come to the conclusion that this is probably for the better.

Last edited:

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
In the same vein as potential new categories, How about splitting news articles based on press or news release directly from Apple into their own separate news sub-forum.

Reactions: rm5

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Well perhaps I was naive to expect people to be reasonable adults? Not criticising your perspective, unfortunately some religious people are zealots. I am not one. I find great value in faith systems.

There is overwhelming evidence that adults are usually not reasonable. It would be particularly bad when discussing faith, which offers few opportunities for reasoning.

I would have wanted a reasonable conversation about religion, but it would not be possible in a public forum. I have great discussions with my Christian friend all the time; he's quite brilliant and makes a valiant effort to reason about the basis of his faith.

Reactions: Snow4maen

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2021
A small island near Europe
Not trying to be antagonistic, but just put me down as being either naive or stupid. I'm ok with that. Also, not to make excuses for myself, but ironically often autistic people are naive. I agree with you.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
This thread reminded me of an article I came across recently (I'd say it applies to all the constituent parts of the term PRSI):

The researchers see the finding as a hopeful one, as it suggests that political discussions aren’t doomed to turn noxious in a way that other discussions aren’t. Rather, they are noxious in part because they have been dominated by a few loud, rude voices.

“The toxicity we observe in online political contexts is an overrepresentation of the people who choose to opt into them,” Mamakos says. “And these people push out the more agreeable people who don’t want to engage with this kind of conflict. This overrepresentation provides a misleading image of the severity of the divide.”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.