Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleish19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
I had an interesting experience today was driving my car and a text came through CarPlay.

Somebody had sent me a text message with a picture of a piece of paper with some writing on it. Siri announced it by saying. “Name sent you a picture with a piece of paper with text on it.”

Just wondering if this is a basic implementation we could expect with AI coming up in iOS 18 or if it’s more based on machine learning via the Neural Engine?

Perhaps in iOS 18 it could read the text on the paper in the picture and suggest reply or do that automatically? Kind of excited

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
automatic replies on pictures someone sends you?
What use case would that be? Can’t imagine of something that I need help with.

And seeing Siri for so many years being more of a pain in the a.. than helpful, i truly doubt that Apple gets it suddenly right just because they label it AI

Reactions: JPack

appleish19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
I don’t know it kind of interested me since I was driving and didn’t wanna pick up my phone and look at the message. I think if Siri could describe the picture in detail or read text in a picture that would be awesome if I was driving or just had my Apple Watch on me and was working out with my AirPods😅

I know a lot of people think Siri is useless. I tend to use it for voice messages, adding to calendar, playing music. I guess I just have the lingo down to talk to her and make it work. Hoping they do update it 😊

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I don’t know it kind of interested me since I was driving and didn’t wanna pick up my phone and look at the message. I think if Siri could describe the picture in detail or read text in a picture that would be awesome if I was driving or just had my Apple Watch on me and was working out with my AirPods😅

I know a lot of people think Siri is useless. I tend to use it for voice messages, adding to calendar, playing music. I guess I just have the lingo down to talk to her and make it work. Hoping they do update it 😊
I get the point of OCR which works good already with pictures. I use it often. text to speech is also working. So picture text to speech can be done relatively easy.

Just the part of automatic reply is a total different story. Which would mean a deep understanding of all circumstances involved

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.