Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webstarcool

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
SFO
Before leaving for a trip abroad, I made sure to switch the setting for my Simcard to Data Roaming Off in order to avoid exorbitant data roaming charges. My operator 3 charges 100 DKK (15 USD) for 1 MB outside the EU.

What surprised me this morning was a text message from 3 that was telling me that I had now consumed for more than 100 kr of data. Couldn't understand it as I was 100 % had turn data roaming off. Checked the settting and it was off.

Then I checked my profile in order to get further info and saw that in spite of the data roaming was set to off, the phone had been using a few kb of data (see the image below). it's quite obvious that the roaming has been off, because otherwise the use of data would be a lot higher. Notice how it's only around 10 kb, 20 kb, each of the days. 10 KB costs me around 3 USD :( It's like robbery

My suspicion is that the few KB used is related to the use of 4G VoLTE (Voice over LTE). The operating system (iOS 13) should not be 'leaking data', but it might be some way that VoLTE has been implemented in iOS. As Voice over LTE is basically IP-based voice calls over the LTE connection, it might be that iOS makes a few bleeps when initiating a connection even though no data is available. Could this be a bug?

Please help me get further clarification on this.

3 data - Roaming OFF.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.