Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cubbie36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
I just put macOS 14 beta 5 on my work computer for testing. After some poking around to fix an Extension Attribute issue in Jamf Pro, I stumbled across a change in macOS 14's bioutil. Apple had renamed "Touch ID functionality" to "Biometrics functionality". I am hoping this means Face ID coming to the Mac either through an iPhone using the continuity camera functionality and/or new Mac's with Lidar built in.

While Touch ID is great, it is sooooo 2017!!

I'm constantly having to us Touch ID in Safari. Seeing I like using both an ergonomic keyboard and mouse with a large 4K display, I'd love to be able to look at my iPhone to unlock or enter my PW for Sarafi logins!

Here to hoping!!!!!!

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2022
'Unlock with Apple Watch' is another form of biometrics so I wonder if that's just tidying up the wording and not a hint to a new feature.

Cubbie36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
'Unlock with Apple Watch' is another form of biometrics so I wonder if that's just tidying up the wording and not a hint to a new feature.
Maybe… however the continuity camera interface has been expanded. Including use with an Apple TV. So I’m thinking (and hoping) likely it Apple expanding biometrics.

Reactions: 3166792

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
If the Watch can unlock a nearby Mac, I don't see why an iPhone wouldn't not also be able to do the same thing.

Cubbie36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
I wonder why they haven't introduced this yet.
It’s because you authenticate the watch with the iPhone once you put it on your wrist. If you takeoff the watch, it will no longer do so. So in that way it’s pretty close to touch ID. However, if you were able to use biometrics like Face ID to unlock your Mac, now you’re talking about a different proposition. (One I’m very hopeful for)

Reactions: n-evo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.