Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'm at a free internet booth at the airport, and need help.

At the Duty Free shop at the airport, they're offering a Nikon D50 with the standard 18-55mm kit lens, but included a Tamron 70-300mm zoom lens for free. They're selling it for $1200 Aussie dollars (obviously, there's no tax that has to be added), which is probably around $800 USD off the top of my head.

I always wanted this camera anyway, but since I spent $700 AUD on surfing related stuff instead of the camera, I said I wouldn't bother with the camera until later.

Should I take this deal, or should I just forget it and wait until my return flight home to make this decision? :confused: :confused:

Or what if I wait until I get to Hong Kong airport and hope it's cheaper there? :p

PLEASE RESPOND AND ADD YOUR 2 CENTS. I'm departing in 2 hours.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I think I'd hold out for Hong Kong, since you are going there. Something about this deal at the airport duty-free shop, especially with the other lens thrown in for free just doesn't sound quite right. It may be "gray market," which can cause all kinds of problems if you have warranty issues later.

Just my tuppence...

OTB

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Before you buy, make certain IN WRITING that the Nikon warranty will be valid at home. Call Nikon if you have to

Maxwell Optical Industries Pty. Ltd.
Unit F1, Lidcombe Business Park, 3-29 Birnie Avenue Lidcombe NSW 2141
Tel: +61-2-8748-5200

Nikon Hong Kong Ltd.
Suite 1001, 10F, Cityplaza One, 1111 King's Road, Taikoo Shing, Hong Kong
Tel: +852-2882-3936

You don't want a gray market camera that won't be supported.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Well, the guy at the airport saw that I wasn't sure and that I didn't want to make such a big impulse purchase, so he did me the favour of offering me 10% off, meaning I could get the Nikon D50 + kit + Tamron 70-300 mm lense for $1080 AUD. :eek: Normally, I think the best deal you can get for this camera is around $1400 for the D50 + kit. My head hurts.

In a way, I do regret not buying it right there, but since all of HK is technically duty free ( :D ), and since I knew that HK generally offered wickedly good prices for most things, I guess I was willing to take that chance. The one bad thing about NOT buying it in Australia is that even if I were to buy it in HK, it would be a pain in the ass if I needed to get the D50 repaired under warranty, as I don't live in HK.

There's no way I can get that deal again when coming back into Australia, as the Duty Free shop doesn't offer tax-free electronics to people coming INTO the country.

@CanadaRAM: Technically, Australia IS my home (for now), so I'm sure it'd be valid at least in Australia. Canada/Toronto is my "real" home, of course.

On the Brink said:
I think I'd hold out for Hong Kong, since you are going there. Something about this deal at the airport duty-free shop, especially with the other lens thrown in for free just doesn't sound quite right. It may be "gray market," which can cause all kinds of problems if you have warranty issues later.

Just my tuppence...

OTB

It's being sold at "The" Duty Free shop inside the airport, which is a pretty big store. It's almost like a big chain and are under tight control by Customs. They even have Duty Free shops in the main shopping areas, although you need to show a valid airplane ticket to buy anything from those stores.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
On the Brink said:
I hope you'll have a lot of fun shooting with your new camera and lenses! It certainly sounds as though you got a terrific deal.

OTB

I don't think he bought it. :(

sk8erboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Okay. Im ready to buy. Christmas is to near.
What deal seems more appealing to you?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D70s-Digi...0586QQcategoryZ107912QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D70s-Digi...6864QQcategoryZ107912QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

thanks again.

about a $100 dollar difference
between the TAMRON kit and the NIKON KIT

[D70S]

or can anyone find a better deal?
thanks again.

then again there is always this route:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11098999&whse=&topnav=&browse=&s=1

[d50]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.