Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
i need some help and i'm afraid that something really bad has happened to my macbook.

it was running fine today (it's been on for a week straight with lots of windows open) then bam, it restarted with no reason why. then i get random restarts all of a sudden, like if the battery died. and now the fan is running loudly all the time, even when it starts up, and everything is slower to load now than it was before. worse, it doesn't even notice my battery and istat pro doesn't know of any fans working at all. i'm afraid that i have a logic board failure and it's out of warranty (and i'm so stupid, i'm crying over it). any other ideas of what i can do before i have to pay the dreaded fee for a new logic board? thanks.

f1

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
Hard to say, i've had similar problems with Bad RAM alone, so that may be a possibility or your logic board is about to fry no way to tell from reading your post. Do u live near an apple store? It's always FREE for a genius to tell you whats wrong with your computer.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
sorry, i was a bit of a fit back there. but it looks as if the battery issue is resolved for now at least, as it's back being charged. if i'm right, the random restarts were all about the battery not being recognized. but i'm still not liking the slow speed of the macbook. i'll do another restart to make sure of some things.

Hustle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
USA
Random restarts are more commonly a problem from bad ram, then a logic board failure. Have you upgraded the ram yourself from the standard Apple ram that came with your laptop?.

I purchased 2GB Ram from overclockers, to put into my Macbook. Everything was fine for a few months, then the laptop started to die for no reason. I spoke to an Apple tech and it turned out that the Ram was bad.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
Random restarts are more commonly a problem from bad ram, then a logic board failure. Have you upgraded the ram yourself from the standard Apple ram that came with your laptop?.

I purchased 2GB Ram from overclockers, to put into my Macbook. Everything was fine for a few months, then the laptop started to die for no reason. I spoke to an Apple tech and it turned out that the Ram was bad.

all of the ram is apple.

i'm going to keep a close eye on the slow loading times (which seem to be quicker now, close to their previous times) and the restarting for the next day or so, as it looks everything is back to normal after resetting the smc (i've been having battery problems the past week or so with the life dissapearing and i think the restarts were directly from that, but not the overactive fans and the overheat).

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319
Resetting MacBook and MacBook Pro System Management Controller (SMC)
1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
2. Disconnect the AC Adapter and remove the computer's battery.
3. Press and hold down the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.
4. Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
5. Press the Power button to restart the computer.

i'm still going to watch this issue, although i doubt it's a logic board failure.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
there's been no random restarts for the past 24 hours and after letting the computer cool down for about 90 minutes, it's back to it's normal temperatures for the most part. only thing that could be concerning is that the boot up is taking a bit longer now, but nothing major. it probably was the battery after all. looks like i panicked for nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.