Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
The Optiplex 7040 Micro offers quad core power in a small package. Are you going to purchase that unit that you configured?

Those Dells look interesting but I am intrigued by the pricing. In the end, it looks like you have to pay Mac money to get Mac performance. The 16GB memory upgrade is still $151. Wasn't a 2012 i7 with 16GB and an SSD about the same price with built-in WiFi, Bluetooth, and all the rest? :apple:

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
Reactions: Cape Dave

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
I just priced this out with an M.2 512GB SSD, 16GB Ram, i7 FOUR CORE! and with discounts came to under $1500.

Pretty sweet!

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/optiplex-7040-micro-desktop/pd?ref=PD_Family

Can it run the Mac OS?

If not, absolutely no use to me.

Likewise; don't play games, don't use any apps that don't run on OS X, don't want to mess around with computers and apps. Just want to get things done with minimal hassle.…..

The office geek, who installed Windows 10 on most of the computers in the office was mumbling the other day "I hate Windows," as something got messed up. This time last year before he arrived (back, I taught him as an undergrad student a few years ago) the office computers were still running XP. Seems nothing fundamental has improved much.

Reactions: Celerondon

Daisy81

Suspended
Dec 29, 2015
Virginia
Reactions: Cape Dave

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
Can it run the Mac OS?

If not, absolutely no use to me.

The only way to run OS X reliably is a Mac.
[doublepost=1453649325][/doublepost]
Likewise; don't play games, don't use any apps that don't run on OS X, don't want to mess around with computers and apps. Just want to get things done with minimal hassle.…..

The office geek, who installed Windows 10 on most of the computers in the office was mumbling the other day "I hate Windows," as something got messed up. This time last year before he arrived (back, I taught him as an undergrad student a few years ago) the office computers were still running XP. Seems nothing fundamental has improved much.

I use Windows 10 in a VM for a little over a year now and use it for Windows programs and it has been reliable with no crashes but it is a bloated and somewhat confusing OS as always.

I prefer the simplicity of OS X although it has become bloated also. Linux Mint is a very good non bloated OS and not walled in like OS X and what MS is starting to do with Windows.

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
I realize that this will not run OSX. I am not a hackintosh guy either. But there are things I like about Windows and things I like about OSX. I use OSX currently.

I posted this just because it is so hard to find a decent small, powerful computer that is not the NUC.

And the price is not cheap, unless one compares it only to the Mac Mini :)

And I am glad to have Linux as an alternative.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.