Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
... However, when you use an Android phone, Google will know what other apps you have installed on your phone and a time stamp of when you use them ....

I'm sure Apple logs and keeps that info as well. You think Apple doesnt keep info on what apps you have on your iphone? Apple even keeps logs of everytime you use your iPhone.

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/...phone-per-day-heres-the-answer-from-apple.htm

Also, privacy is important but not to the point of being paranoid. I don't care if Google knows Im a male who likes video games and does not want to see tampon ads.

Reactions: timeconsumer

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I believe frequency is the biggest difference as well, but I’m always open to being wrong.

I grow tired of this back and forth between Android and iOS, though. I think it comes down to people having to make a choice as to how valuable certain things are. And then not judge others for making the choice themselves.

I agree :)

I think people when offering advice just need to be a little more careful as you can easily do a fellow iPhone owner a false sense of security if you overstate some claims

We often see posts where I got my Granny an iPhone as its easier for her to use (Completely ignoring the simple mode available on most Android devices) and telling her its safe to use thanks to Apple.

We all need to be mindful based on personal preferences :)

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Apple doesn't slow down older devices - lie.
Apple phones don't have a problem with their antenna it's the way the person holds the phone - lie.
Apple said in court that “no reasonable person… could have reasonably relied on or misunderstood Apple’s statements as claims of fact.” In other words, “Our ads don’t lie, but you’re a fool if you believe them.”

I'm done with Apple and their walled garden that heaven forbid anyone that tries to leave.
Not seeing anything related to privacy, but whatever.

If you are done with Apple, then I wonder what brings you into a forum of MACrumors?

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I'm sure Apple logs and keeps that info as well. You think Apple doesnt keep info on what apps you have on your iphone? Apple even keeps logs of everytime you use your iPhone.

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/...phone-per-day-heres-the-answer-from-apple.htm

Also, privacy is important but not to the point of being paranoid. I don't care if Google knows Im a male who likes video games and does not want to see tampon ads.

The difference is what the purpose of that data collection is and what they do with that information, who they sell it to, etc. Everyone has their own level of comfort so if you are good w/ it, good for Google.

That said, I have moved all my Google related stuff to GSuites and opted in for HIPPA, GDPR, etc compliance. Which basically strips the need for Google to collect anything useful and, if the 3rd party auditors are correct, all your information (emails, stuff in Drive, etc) will actually be deleted if you delete your account. This is not the case w/ regular Gmail etc. They hang on to ALL of it.

Last edited:

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
The difference is what the purpose of that data collection is they do with that information, who they sell it to, etc. Everyone has their own level of comfort so if you are good w/ it, good for Google.

Apple just makes up buzzwords like differential privacy and people believe apple collects differently than Google.

Google doesnt sell info with your name attached. Stop being paranoid. Please show me the order form from Google where I can buy info about a particular named person.

While apple may not sell ads, they still have all your personal data that is subject to court orders and hackers.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Apple just makes up buzzwords like differential privacy and people believe apple collects differently than Google.

Google doesnt sell info with your name attached. Stop being paranoid. Please show me the order form from Google where I can buy info about a particular named person.

While apple may not sell ads, they still have all your personal data that is subject to court orders and hackers.

Differential Privacy was actually created by someone who worked at Microsoft. Like I said, if you don't mind, then good for Google. Everyone has their own level of comfort when it comes to privacy and that's fine.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Differential Privacy was actually created by someone who worked at Microsoft. Like I said, if you don't mind, then good for Google. Everyone has their own level of comfort when it comes to privacy and that's fine.

I'm fine with others choosing their comfort level with privacy issues but it is bald face lies when people say Google sells your information. Why have I not seen celebrity gossip news sites buy that private info about celebrities and publish them? Google sells ads, not your info.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I'm fine with others choosing their comfort level with privacy issues but it is bald face lies when people say Google sells your information. Why have I not seen celebrity gossip news sites buy that private info about celebrities and publish them? Google sells ads, not your info.

Targeted ads are based very specifically on your info. Why are you so upset that people don't want to be marketed to in this way? You're very defensive about it all. As long as the consumer is aware of what is being done w/ their info and how a company retains & uses it to meet their end goals, then it's up to them to decide. And ultimately, that's the main point.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I've been on Android since I moved away from ios on the iPhone 4 and I've never had an actual issue arise from Google obtaining my information. I've got nothing to hide anyway. However if you really don't want Google to have your information then you should stop using all thier services and stick to ios.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.