Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

useydess

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2023
Camarillo CA
so i've been wondering about a quicksilver 2002 i have and if its possible to add more ram and exceed the 1.5gb limit, i've noticed slow performance when running some applications like minecraft for PowerPC and Garageband. any idea if this is possible or if the system would even accept the larger RAM?

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
The Quicksilver (and Digital Audio) is limited to 1.5GB since the PC133 memory bus only supports 3 sticks/slots and 1GB modules are not supported, so 3x512MB is your limited.

If you want 2GB, you will either have to get a Sawtooth, a Mystic/Gig Ethernet or go later and get an MDD. All three have 4 slots so support 4x512MB, for 2GB. 1GB sticks wouldn't be supported until the G5.

The only Power Mac Gx machine that can accept more than it's official limit of memory is the Early 2005 G5 models, which since based on the Xserve G5 supported 16GB of PC3200 with 8x 2GB sticks, rather than the official 8GB. The reason you don't see them often is because 2GB sticks of DDR1 are very hard to find.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.